The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Ouick fuel carbs

I ended up with a 750 QFT carb through a trade and i finally got it up to David Cook here in town for a rebuild/flow . I will be replacing my 750 Demon with it before the Chassis dyno session with O2 . Anybody have any experience with these ? Good or bad let me know . This one has changable jets on everything .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Ouick fuel carbs

I've heard........ QuickFuel supplies most of the components (bowls, metering plates..) for most of the aftermarket carb companies (like The Carb Shop, Prosystems, Braswell.. etc) So I'd assume they make a quality component. Do they know how to put all of those components together and set them up right for your combination??? I guess you'll see. IMO it's a good move no matter what. I'd take a kamakazi import no-name over a BG,, but thats my 2¢

If it's any help,, even the best carb builders, they don't have the signal YOUR engine puts to a carb under YOUR driving style. Today the cost of putting the motor on a dyno for breakin and fine tune is worth it just in saved fuel over the engines life. Or data logging with WB O2 sensors in both collectors.. takes all that plug reading / guessing fighting the tuneup right out of the equation. It's nice to be able to go out there and concentrate on racing the race,, not fighting the tuneup.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I've heard........ QuickFuel supplies most of the components (bowls, metering plates..) for most of the aftermarket carb companies (like The Carb Shop, Prosystems, Braswell.. etc) So I'd assume they make a quality component. Do they know how to put all of those components together and set them up right for your combination??? I guess you'll see. IMO it's a good move no matter what. I'd take a kamakazi import no-name over a BG,, but thats my 2¢

If it's any help,, even the best carb builders, they don't have the signal YOUR engine puts to a carb under YOUR driving style. Today the cost of putting the motor on a dyno for breakin and fine tune is worth it just in saved fuel over the engines life. Or data logging with WB O2 sensors in both collectors.. takes all that plug reading / guessing fighting the tuneup right out of the equation. It's nice to be able to go out there and concentrate on racing the race,, not fighting the tuneup.
Agree'd . The carb is actually a BIGS stage 5 , but im having David go through it . I will chassis dyno it with both O2 sensors .

On the BG i have had good luck with them . Im on my 4th and really never had a problem with any of them . Last one the shop that dyno'd the truck said he wished his fuel injected cars had that nice of a curve . Did you get a bad carb or just Barry himself ?
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I personally have never ran one on any of my own cars. So I should sit on my hands,, but my experience helping friends with the BG carbs and fuel systems is echo'd all over the net. BG became noted for a complete lack of service after the sale. If you called with a complaint or a problem,, you pretty much were treated like it was all YOUR fault,, you were stupid, and no way was their product defective or at fault for anything. I did personally get that treatment helping a friend and I'm worse than a old woman that way,, I never forget when someone takes my (or a friends) money then belittles me.

Not when you have guys like Patrick James (Prosystems) who bends over backwards to help you make the most power and ET possible,, why tolerate anything less.

When we dyno'd the 800HP motor I'd fax Patrick the dyno sheet, he'd call with tweeks to the carb, we'd make another pull and fax the sheet,, he was on the phone before the last page went through the fax. I've called him from the track (here at 10 pm is 12 in MI) Tell him what's going on and he makes carb change calls on a new carb and says call me after the next pass.

In all fairness tho.....
I've heard much like your experience,, when (if) the the BG carbs were right,, they were a darn decent carb.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
dbmx66

which switched from a holley (done by barry grant) to a quick fuel 1050 on the super gas car,the consistency dropped horribly, the temperature had changed no more than a degree or two, wind was in same direction and almost the same mph, and the humidity was the same, we made 3 passes in the weather window, for pass was 8.52, second was 8.41, third pas was 8.64. who knows, i did it worse the following weekend, so we ditched it.

i hope you have luck, ive alwys heard positive things with quickfuel.
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I personally have never ran one on any of my own cars. So I should sit on my hands,, but my experience helping friends with the BG carbs and fuel systems is echo'd all over the net. BG became noted for a complete lack of service after the sale. If you called with a complaint or a problem,, you pretty much were treated like it was all YOUR fault,, you were stupid, and no way was their product defective or at fault for anything. I did personally get that treatment helping a friend and I'm worse than a old woman that way,, I never forget when someone takes my (or a friends) money then belittles me.

Not when you have guys like Patrick James (Prosystems) who bends over backwards to help you make the most power and ET possible,, why tolerate anything less.

When we dyno'd the 800HP motor I'd fax Patrick the dyno sheet, he'd call with tweeks to the carb, we'd make another pull and fax the sheet,, he was on the phone before the last page went through the fax. I've called him from the track (here at 10 pm is 12 in MI) Tell him what's going on and he makes carb change calls on a new carb and says call me after the next pass.

In all fairness tho.....
I've heard much like your experience,, when (if) the the BG carbs were right,, they were a darn decent carb.
Good info . I am exicted about the new carb . Hoping for the best . I know Pro systems builds good stuff . I hear about them on the Bullet . David is local and has a good reputation . He has a history with Holley . I also understand BG is/was a handfull to deal with . Guess i was one of the lucky ones .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmx66 View Post
which switched from a holley (done by barry grant) to a quick fuel 1050 on the super gas car,the consistency dropped horribly, the temperature had changed no more than a degree or two, wind was in same direction and almost the same mph, and the humidity was the same, we made 3 passes in the weather window, for pass was 8.52, second was 8.41, third pas was 8.64. who knows, i did it worse the following weekend, so we ditched it.

i hope you have luck, ive alwys heard positive things with quickfuel.
Good info . Thanks
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
team39763

What's he charging to go through your carb? I'd been trying to find someone to set up my Demon for me, but I'm not having good luck. I don't want to spend $500 to have it gone though either. Pro Systems don't mess with Demons anymore and I haven't heard anything(good or bad) about the way Quick Fuel sets them up.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

It ended up being $178 including shipping back to me from magnolia . Im happy so far . as it looks good . I haven't installed it yet though .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
redsled87

Had a Quick Fuel custom built for my old SBC. Great people to deal with. The carb worked great out of the box. The one thing about them is, you don't set the floats like a Holley. There is a mark in the middle of the sight glass. That's where yhou want it.
1/4 10.93
MPH 120
redsled87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Ok thanks for the info . I have a small oil leak on the back corner of the intake so its coming off this week . Started out saturday working on the demon after time trials and before 1st round . It had a bad stumble . Ended up being the front pump and a nozzle base gasket . Demon is coming off .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Right out of the box . Spot on . Trimmed the A/F ratio at idle , but super close on jets . No lag , just chrisp .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I bought a Q/F and out the box on my set up it runs well.. I have a bit of stumble off the line. But to be fair I have not complete checking timing, and I have to pull the MSD back apart to see what the old set is, I lost my notes. SO at this point I cannot say its carb or timing. But the little stumble is gone by 1500 ( its a tip in issue sitting static or driving) so really until I run the rest down do not know. It it a very nice carb to deal with though. I sold the old demon it had no choke and up here I need one.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote