The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
MrSchaeferPants

12v ignition wire gauge?

While back I noticed the 12v wire on the (points) coil was showing bare wire pretty bad, so I had some time and removed the whole harness so I could replace the wire and re-loom it. The entire wire from the coil to the starter had many many spots of bare wire, and melted insulation, I'm not sure if this wire was replaced at one point, the insulation was yellow, and the gauge of the wire seemed small to me, like a 14 or 16. So I replaced it with a 12, I would have done the ignition or 9v or whatever wire too, but I didn't feel I could safely remove the terminal out of the plug in the firewall w/o breaking something so I left it alone, this wire seemed thin too but I'm sure it was factory judging by the insulation, and there wasn't any real damage, though a few pinch points in it. Just wanted to replace it while I had the harness out.

Anyone who has done this for the same reasons, or purchased an aftermarket harness, what was the wire gauges for the ignition wires. Seems we're always going thicker than stock for everything.