The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
x1buellist

Standard vs aftermarket coil springs

So, I removed my stock rear springs yesterday and was comparing them to the springs I bought online to give a 4" drop. The stock springs are considerably thicker and more robust than the wimpy looking new springs I bought. I haven't installed the new springs yet but it seems like they wouldn't be able to handle even a fraction of the weight that the stock springs could handle.
x1buellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Standard vs aftermarket coil springs

When I had new custom springs fabricated in 2009, the company compression tested the 49 year old original springs and they still measured out 1500 pound load capacity for the pair (even though my truck is a half ton model). No wonder it rode like a buckboard.

The new springs were fabricated with a 400 pound capacity and they still look pretty beefy. After I removed the bed cover I swapped in Jeep 2.5” lifting springs, which are the typical Jeep lowering springs only longer. On my truck I’d estimate they had about 150-200 pound capacity, judging by how much they sagged under the weight of a loaded ice chest.

Compared to the originals they had almost no load capacity, but I think most guys that go for a static drop are more interested in how it looks than how much it can haul.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
jonathan-m

Re: Standard vs aftermarket coil springs

My jeep springs in the rear max out at about a 350-400 pound load it seems. Simple (cheap) solution is just to keep the old originals in the garage for when you have the rare heavy load to haul. It only takes about 25 minutes to switch them out, and I only maybe carry a real heavy load once per year so its no hassle at all to switch them when I need them.