The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
SS317

How often to new bags leak?

Just installed two new rear air bags. Replaced the coil springs in my 66 long bed. The right side has a slow leak I can't pin down. I've replaced the line twice and double checked the fittings.
How often to new bags leak?
Thanks.
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
broey
Square

Re: How often to new bags leak?

They shouldn't leak. I can leave my truck aired up for days without any squat. you are gonna need some soap bubbles to find the culprit.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Have you tired soapy water on everything to find the leak?Or maybe its a valve has a slow leak.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
502ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
They shouldn't leak. I can leave my truck aired up for days without any squat. you are gonna need some soap bubbles to find the culprit.
Ditto
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
SS317

Only the right side was down last night, but when I went out this morning both sides were down. I"m going to get some new lock tight and pull the bags off and re do each fitting.
Are you suppose to put anything on the plastic air lines when you push them into the fittings?
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

lock tight? you should be using teflon on your brass fittings. Get liquid tef, and use that on your fittings. I had leak issues with tef tape (user error) but switched to liquid tef, and was leak free.

You don't need to put anything on the lines, just make sure your using a tubing cutter to get a flat even cut, and push them in tightly.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
fleetman

spritzer all connections with weak dish soap solution in a spray bottle. jiggle the connections to check for intermittant problems as you spritzer.
if connections seem ok then spritzer your bags.
be sure to push those lines into self locking connections really well. i pushed one such connection in several different times until.. viola ... it went in further and really seated to its hilt and only then did the slow leak stop.
hth
fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Pro Performance

The bag shouldn't be leaking at all. If you can't get it to seal using teflon tape, you can also use Loctite 545, which works very well. The only thing, is most places don't carry it, but can find it online fairly easily.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
charlie diaz

"You don't need to put anything on the lines, just make sure your using a tubing cutter to get a flat even cut, and push them in tightly."

X2 on this step. It is one of the most crucial steps. You can almost never get a straight cut using a knife, and without a straight cut, you'll almost never get a proper seal.

In my experience, this is the best type of cutter to use:

http://gravity-werx.com/airlinetubingcutter.aspx

one of the board vendors may sell them, but I just googled it and it was the first one to come up.
charlie diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
PBFAB.COM

A major leak spot is the actual end of the airline itself. If you remove the airline from a PTC ( push to connect ) style fitting, then you'll need to trim the end of the hose off after each use. If you look closely at the last portion of the air line, ( say up 1/4" when using 1/4" hose ), you'll notice some small "teeth" impressions in the hose where the fitting sealed down upon it last time it was inflated. Well if the "teeth" don't like back up then it will slowly leak out there. Be sure to trim the end fresh, and square, each time you go to re-insert the airline. Also make sure it's firmly seated into the fitting each time as well.

Another point to remember is that once you get a fitting tight, don't try to back it off slightly or, retighten more. Tighten the fitting to it's final resting point and leave it. If you tighten it, and then back it off 1/4 turn to line up, you've also back off the treat sealant slightly.

Also be sure to check the actual barb fitting on the back of the paddle switch. It can leak there, especially if you use a razor to cut the old airline off and might have put a slight nick in the actual barb, causing air to seep by thru that nick.

No matter what, grab the soapy water and see if you can source the leak. Spray it around every location where the airline has a fitting connection, as well at the component the airline is connected to.

The thread sealant should either be teflon tape which is cheap, or you can use a liquid thread sealant as well suck as Loctite 545 as suggested by Pro Performance. You can also get the Permatex brand pneumatic thread sealant which is the same as Loctite 545 and is a few bucks cheaper. However for your case, I'd simply go with the white thread tape as it's cost effective and you're not doing an entire air system.

Good luck.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson