The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
hjl

Monojet carburetor replace / rebuild?

My mechanic just called and said my carburetor was in bad shape, it needs a rebuild. I'm wondering if I should just buy a remanufactured one instead of rebuilding what's on there?

Anyway, I've got a 1972 2WD with the original 6 cylinder 250, and I guess the original carb because he said it was a single barrel "monojet". Can anyone point me towards a site that sells these remanufactured? He doesn't think he's going to be able to find one locally, so I said I would look online for pricing.

I fount this: Carb-X

Thanks.

Last edited by hjl; 05-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.
hjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
hjl

Re: Monojet carburetor replace / rebuild?

Whoops, I meant this:

Carb-X
Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
cleszkie

A rebuild kit should be easy to find. Most parts warehouses carry rebuild kits in stock for these old carbs. Being that it is a monojet, there are not that many parts and it should be very easy to rebuild. The rebuild kit will be a lot less money than a new or refurbished carb. I strongly recommend the rebuild, and if your mechanic can't or won't do it, get a new mechanic.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
A rebuild kit should be easy to find. Most parts warehouses carry rebuild kits in stock for these old carbs. Being that it is a monojet, there are not that many parts and it should be very easy to rebuild. The rebuild kit will be a lot less money than a new or refurbished carb. I strongly recommend the rebuild, and if your mechanic can't or won't do it, get a new mechanic.
I agree you can pick up a carb kit for around $20
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
hjl

Actually going with a remanufactured carb was my suggestion, he found a rebuild kit for $25 and offered to go ahead, but adding in labor there isn't much difference in cost between him rebuilding it and the remanufactured one I linked to above. I guess I was just wondering if the remanufactured carburetor is a better product, seems like they do more to it than he would be doing with a rebuild kit.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
old man jimmy

if like you say, their isn't much difference in price, with labor. I'd go with the rebuilt. One problem area with old carbs is the throttle shaft, especially if somebody used heavy return springs. You can check yours by seeing if their is any play when you wiggle your throttle by hand, (engine off of course)
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote