The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
1966JSM

Brake Question

So Ive been thinking about swapping out the brakes in my truck to the 99 and up style and getting power steering. I upgraded my brakes on my 66 a number of years ago to the 73-87 setup I think. I bought it off brotherstrucks.com.

Question is has it been done and is there a kit or do I need to figure out all that good stuff , any tips would help guys.

Do I need to change out the whole front end, k member and control arms to the newer style. To get the brakes and power steering?

OR just keep the setup I have and get power steering and rear disc brakes and upgrade the front to a bigger rotor and 2 or 4 piston calipers.

Last edited by 1966JSM; 04-07-2011 at 03:41 AM.
1966JSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Re: Brake Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966JSM View Post

OR just keep the setup I have and get power steering and rear disc brakes and upgrade the front to a bigger rotor and 2 or 4 piston calipers.

This^^^^^^^

The chassis (and body styles) changed in 88 and the suspension parts are not compatible with our trucks.

That is not to say it can't be done but why bother? That would be a lot of work to end up with an albotross.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
1966JSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
This^^^^^^^

The chassis (and body styles) changed in 88 and the suspension parts are not compatible with our trucks.

That is not to say it can't be done but why bother? That would be a lot of work to end up with an albotross.
Humm I wanna get rid of the style rotor I have now. The rotor/lug studs crap. If there's a cheap way to swap it out the the floating rotor

I would like a 13+" front rotor with atleast 2 or 4 piston caliper in the from a and 11" rotor in the rear.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can get brakes like that from the aftermarket. I believe some of the conversions utilize Corvette brakes, but I'm not really up on that type of brakes. You might find more of the info you're after over in the suspension section. There are more guys over there that are into the big brakes, steering and handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966JSM View Post
Humm I wanna get rid of the style rotor I have now. The rotor/lug studs crap. If there's a cheap way to swap it out the the floating rotor

I would like a 13+" front rotor with atleast 2 or 4 piston caliper in the from a and 11" rotor in the rear.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Sorry, misunderstood (or misread it) what you meant. You're wanting a setup where the rotor slides on but the hub, with the wheel studs, stays on the truck?

That is an interesting idea... I am sure somebody makes something like this that can be adapted to your truck.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Contact forum Vendor way2lo2 (Boris). He is modifying drop spindles so you can add Corvette Rotors and Calipers. Here's a set he had for sale.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
1966JSM

Well does anyone know where I can just find the spindle and and hub? I got a really good deal on some C6 z06 calipers