The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
ss63

Unhappy caddy seats

hi guys just got a 59 fleetside ! but got a pair of supposedly caddy deville 05 seats at a car show flee market even before i got my truck so far have not found any info. that matchages the wires on my seats ok have 14 wires in main harness & 4 in small harness on one seat & 11 in the main & 4 in small on the second seat all that i have read not on person mention the danger of setting off the side air bags !! obviously just need the basics to work has anyone had any success ??? hope some one can clear this up ? thanks
ss63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: caddy seats

Sorry I can't help with the wiring (wow, that's a lot of wires) but I was just wondering if you've put the seat in the truck yet. I bought a truck years ago that someone had put an older Caddy seat in, and the backrest portion of the seat was so thick that you couldn't move the seat back enough. Unless you were under 5' tall, that truck was very uncomfortable.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
truckdude239

yellow wires are the air bags dont touch them and you been fine i'll see if i can find a wiring diagram when i get to work today for you

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
mr48chev

I'd have to agree with 63 & 64 bowties in that most of those luxury car seats don't work out well in the mid 50's GM trucks. I had a 56 GMC with a Lincoln seat in it here at the house for a while and if you were over 5'5" and 140 lbs you didn't fit behind the wheel.

They usually look ok in the trucks but don't sit very well for most people.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Maximus

yea, after a million options i went simple and tracked down a stock bench seat myself and had it re-upholstered, but i would love to see some photos of the caddy seat!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
OrrieG

I had a mid 60's caddy seat in my truck for about a week in the 70's, I'm short and felt crowed. I have heard bad things about accidently energizing the bag wire.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
robin58

I looked on my Alldata discs and nothing I can see for that year and model Caddy has 14 and 11 pin-outs on them. Do you have all the switches needed to operate the various motors? If not the easiest way to figure out what controls what is just to trace wires to the various motors. The driver's seat probably has a few extra things like lumbar and maybe heat but they're all going to be pretty easy to figure out. And the passenger side will have the trigger so if someone is sitting in it that the airbags will function.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
ss63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Sorry I can't help with the wiring (wow, that's a lot of wires) but I was just wondering if you've put the seat in the truck yet. I bought a truck years ago that someone had put an older Caddy seat in, and the backrest portion of the seat was so thick that you couldn't move the seat back enough. Unless you were under 5' tall, that truck was very uncomfortable.
not at this point what to get this wiring thing straten out first well i am only 5'7'' 140 lbs. the seats that are in there now are 70s full size also will move tank to the back these seem to be smaller than 70-80s style so wen the wiring is figured out then i will put them in
Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
ss63

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
yellow wires are the air bags dont touch them and you been fine i'll see if i can find a wiring diagram when i get to work today for you
ok found a thick yellow & white beond the main harnest on both seats the colors that feed them are different on each seat i will deafently leave them alone ! thanks for your help now & in the future
Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
ss63

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post
I looked on my Alldata discs and nothing I can see for that year and model Caddy has 14 and 11 pin-outs on them. Do you have all the switches needed to operate the various motors? If not the easiest way to figure out what controls what is just to trace wires to the various motors. The driver's seat probably has a few extra things like lumbar and maybe heat but they're all going to be pretty easy to figure out. And the passenger side will have the trigger so if someone is sitting in it that the airbags will function.
thanks for looking ok the wires were cut from the floor wires that feed them yes on the switches as they are still mounted & hooked up there are 3 buttons on each seat one is round 4 dimpels one rectangle horasontal & one vertical hope this helps ? as i was told they are 05's out of a deville
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
robin58

Do you happen to live in a state where the library makes Auto Repair Center (sometimes called Ebscohost)available online through their statewide database? Most states do.

I found the attached there which is for a 2005 Deville.

An alternative would be using Autozone's website. Create an account, add the 2005 Caddy as a vehicle and it should let you browse their Vehicle Repair Guides which include wiring diagrams.

Edited to add: FWIW I have some older Caddy powerseat motors that I had played around with. The only two wires that mattered on mine were a pale green and pale blue wire. Reversing polarity simply reverses the feed of the motor. Newer seats obviously are more complex with memory switches etc, but the motors' wiring themselves will all stay simple.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf seats-8-way-adjustable-power-seat-circuit-1-of-1.pdf (35.4 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by robin58; 06-22-2012 at 10:25 AM.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
ss63

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post
Do you happen to live in a state where the library makes Auto Repair Center (sometimes called Ebscohost)available online through their statewide database? Most states do.

I found the attached there which is for a 2005 Deville.

An alternative would be using Autozone's website. Create an account, add the 2005 Caddy as a vehicle and it should let you browse their Vehicle Repair Guides which include wiring diagrams.

Edited to add: FWIW I have some older Caddy powerseat motors that I had played around with. The only two wires that mattered on mine were a pale green and pale blue wire. Reversing polarity simply reverses the feed of the motor. Newer seats obviously are more complex with memory switches etc, but the motors' wiring themselves will all stay simple.
Thanks for all that info. so now i will have to research it all