The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
94tx

Any one use/own an Eastwood MIG?

I'm looking at their 135 unit right now. I would LOVE a 220v but cannot get one right now, renting my place and no 220v plug in the garage, landlord won't let me modify the place.

That being said, Anyone have any experiece with this unit?

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html

All the reviews on the website look good, but just wondering. It has the infinite volt and wire speed gauges which is what's got me so interested. I'm going to be doing mainly sheet metal work with it, and maybe just some brackets and etc, I do NOT plan on framework at the moment. I'd think for $300 on something I will be upgrading after graduation isn't going to be too bad.

They got free shipping through the end of the month, figure if I end up returning it, I'll only lose shipping one way.
94tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
ERASER5

Re: Any one use/own an Eastwood MIG?

I have been looking at those too. They appear to be made by Lincoln. If that is indeed the case, then I would say it is a pretty good unit. Good price too. I am leaning toward the 175 unit. The included spool gun makes the package sweet!
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
allengator

I've been looking as well! so here's a bump!

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
stevieB

In regards to the 220v and you renting, you could always make an outlet and mount it underneath the breaker box then run an extension cord to the garage landlord wont know, and you can remove it when you move.
stevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
frednoah
86 Scottsdale

I haven't unpacked mine yet, but it is on the plans for this weekend. I figured for the price, and the limited amount of stuff I plan to do, it looked like a good deal.

Never mig'ed before, but will let you know how setup is.
frednoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
cdowns

i'd rather have the miller brand name that i know is servicable locally. sending in a welder for service could prove costly and in the long run you pay alot more for a lot less
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
frednoah
86 Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i'd rather have the miller brand name that i know is servicable locally. sending in a welder for service could prove costly and in the long run you pay alot more for a lot less
If I were welding on a daily, or even weekly basis I'd tend to agree. For home hobby use, I think this will do fine.

If the machine only lasts 3 years, and I get all the rust repair done on my truck, I'll still be happy with the $300 I spent. It is simple for me...either pay someone to do the rust repair on my truck, or buy a tool and learn a new skill.

Not like I'm gonna find someone to do cab corners, rockers, and patch the holes in my doors for the same money. Even if I did, I wouldn't gain the knowledge of the new skill.
frednoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieB View Post
In regards to the 220v and you renting, you could always make an outlet and mount it underneath the breaker box then run an extension cord to the garage landlord wont know, and you can remove it when you move.

Please describe this in greater detail; Is this something you can do yourself?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
stevieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Please describe this in greater detail; Is this something you can do yourself?
Ok, So your panel has to have slots available for another breaker. You want a two pole at least 40amp breaker, #6 guage wire you need a ground, a nuetral and two power wires and a receptacle to fit your application (what ever kind of plug you want to use , i use a 6-50R outlet). Now if your panel is outide than you will need a weather proof box to house the outlet and a small piece of flex conduit to go to the panel. now inside of the panel at the bottom there are knock outs to run the wire through to the outlet and breaker. Mount the outlet externaly to the wall and run your wire hook up your breaker and your good to go.

As for people with a recessed panel in the wall not much you can do with out cutting in to the wall, but you can open the panel door hook your breaker to a #6 extension cord put the breaker into the panel and secure the wire close to the panel (so the breaker doesn't come move to much) and there you go a make shift one at best not the safest but it can be done.

I have been an electrician for 8 years, but do office work now because of the economy, i miss it alot.

Last edited by stevieB; 01-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
dan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieB View Post
Ok, So your panel has to have slots available for another breaker. You want a two pole at least 40amp breaker, #6 guage wire you need a ground, a nuetral and two power wires and a receptacle to fit your application (what ever kind of plug you want to use , i use a 6-50R outlet). Now if your panel is outide than you will need a weather proof box to house the outlet and a small piece of flex conduit to go to the panel. now inside of the panel at the bottom there are knock outs to run the wire through to the outlet and breaker. Mount the outlet externaly to the wall and run your wire hook up your breaker and your good to go.

As for people with a recessed panel in the wall not much you can do with out cutting in to the wall, but you can open the panel door hook your breaker to a #6 extension cord put the breaker into the panel and secure the wire close to the panel (so the breaker doesn't come move to much) and there you go a make shift one at best not the safest but it can be done.

I have been an electrician for 8 years, but do office work now because of the economy, i miss it alot.
First off I'm not a qualified electrician, but I've accomplished several electrical projects (with an electrician's advice) without setting fire to any structures.

I'd recommend making a serious extension cord (6 or 8 gauge) with a plug matching either your drier or kitchen stove (they're different). Select the unit closest to your welding location so you're running a shorter wire. Then attach the outlet matching your welder. Now you can weld without having to modify your main circuit breaker box.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
stevieB

^x2 I did not even think about that.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
orange 71 chevy

i just ordered one on the way any thing has to be better than the 90 a chicago welder(first big mistake).
orange 71 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
jtj143

I've been researching mig welders and ran across the Eastwood line of machines.

Are they made by Lincoln?

Any updates from you fellas who may have bought one?

How do they compare to the established brands?

The reviews on the Eastwood website are spectacular, but we may take those reviews with a grain of salt. I'm looking for some real, in-the-field, on-the-job remarks about the quality, durability, and functionality of these welders. (particularly the MIG 175)
Thanks!
'65 GMC Suburban 4X4, '71 GMC 4X4 LWB - The Yellow Eyed Monster, '86 C10 Silverado - Oldest Daughter's Pickup, '88 S15 GMC Work Truck, '95 GMC SLE 4X4 - Second Daughter's Truck, '99 K1500 GMC Suburban Road Trip Machine, 2000 C2500 W/T Utility Bed Work Truck, '03 Silverado - Wife's Grocery Getter
jtj143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #14
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I cant say anything about the welder, but the OP mention'd free freight and EastWood does offer free freight often, the small print say's if it's more than 3 square inch's and /or whiegh's more than 14 oz's it dont qualify.
I just got there Plamsa cutter then a few week's later a weld'n cart. the ship'n cost was'nt bad but was'nt free either.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
GMCPerson

I have had a 135 for 6-8 months now. I have had many problems with them and regret purchasing it. I will say that when it works, it works well and I am happy with the welds.

Now my rant: Right out of the box, the fan did not work on 1st one I received. I called Tech Help and Customer Relations, they sent me a new one, I was able to pack the old one in the box and sent it back. It took about 1 week to get get the new welder. The wire stopped feeding on the 2nd one after running less than an 11 lb spool of wire through it. I called Tech Help and left a message, no response, called 2 days later and left a message, no response, emailed through thier website and got a reponse - they will replace the welder - CR will call me and set it up. I waited 2 days with no contact so I called CR. They sent me a new welder. I packed up #2 and started welding with #3. After about 1 hour of welding off and on, I noticed that my new 125 CFM tank of gas was almost empty. When I turned off the valve on the tank, the gauges went to zero. Turns out there is a leak inside the welder right out of the box. Called Tech Help and left a message, no response. Emailed Tech Help, no response. Called CR and left a message with the person that had helped with #2. No response. Called CR and asked for the person. I was told she was on vacation and would call back on Monday. Got a call on Monday and CR transferred me to Tech Help who told me they would send me another one and check to make sure there were no concerns before it left. He said someone would call me. In the meantime, I called CR and left a message because #2 had not been picked up Tuesday as planned or Wednesday. Today is Thursday and I got a call back from CR. I was told that there were computer problems and #2 would be picked up today. They told me that they would not send #4 until I found a box and packed up #3 and sent it back. It has been almost 1 month since #2 died and I still can not weld.

I guess I was expecting them to bend over backwards for me and offer some sort of reimbursement for the $40+ lost gas and the inconvenience I have experienced. Instead I get told I have to find a big box and wait for the return of #3. I am thinking #4 may go up for sale as soon as I get it. Not sure if I am willing to take a loss on it quite yet. Glad there is a 3 year warranty.

Rant over but I still do not feel better.
GMCPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
72chevynoob

I am not a welder but if you have a few extra bucks i would suggest the miller 211because it can be used with 110 or 220 and they are reliable and easy to get serviced. heres a link to the welder on their site: http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00245 they are also super easy to weld with. my dad bought one and i love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
my67c20

Currently i have a lincoln 135 works like a champ had it for at least 8 years never a problem. Probably ran 20 spools of wire thru it with nothing more than tip changes. If i was to do it again i would go a local weld shop and buy from them. Get everything you need (gas, gear, service). Did a quick search and see that you have Big Tex Welding Supplies in you area. Who knows maybe they even offer some training. Just a thought
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote