The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
cmyc5575

Door mounting help plz!?!?!

Good evening everyone!!! Ok I was on lunch at work admiring my square and already noticed that the gap between the hood and the driver side fender is wider on that side than the passenger side, so I figured that I just need to buy new hood mounts bc they may be bent... ok no biggie there... The problem that i noticed is that the door doesnt close all the way on either side even when i slam the doors. also noticably that at the top of the doors the spacing is quite wider around the top of the wing glass than the actual spacing around the door. so in lamens terms the doors are sitting coc eyed in when they are shut,... so what i did i opened both the doors and grabbed them from the bottom and side and pushed up and down on them and noticed that where the top door mounting bracket is that are loose on the top. so if you actually hold the door where it doesnt fall and slowly shut it without shutting it seems to even out the door gaps. so i guess my question is,,, is there a screw that tightens the door up on the mount or is there some kind of spacer that might be worn out on each of the doors. thanks for all advice...
cmyc5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Door mounting help plz!?!?!

im gonna move this to bady for ya in a day or two to see what help you get there too

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
im gonna move this to bady for ya in a day or two to see what help you get there too
Hey man your awesome thanks for the help!!! Does my thread still show up here also?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Sounds like a classic case of pins and bushings needing replaced before you do much else. With the door open you can pick up on the bottom corner and the door moves up... Your bushings are shot.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Sounds like a classic case of pins and bushings needing replaced before you do much else. With the door open you can pick up on the bottom corner and the door moves up... Your bushings are shot.
Yes that is exactly what it is doing and the play in the door when i lift up on them is pretty bad! what material are those bushing made out of, and where can i buy replacements?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

You want to buy OEM GM pins and bushings. You might get them from your local Chevy dealer since they are still catalog available items. GM sells them in packs: p/n 20046147 for the pin (sold 5 per pack) and p/n 9721917 for the bushing (sold 20 per pack), but your dealer might break the packs for you. I bought my pins and bushings by the pack from an OEM online vendor and sold the rest on the parts for sale part of this forum.
Here are two threads: one is my first attempt to use aftermarket Dorman pins and buhsings and the second is my successful attempt using GM parts:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...oor+hinge+pins

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
You want to buy OEM GM pins and bushings. You might get them from your local Chevy dealer since they are still catalog available items. GM sells them in packs: p/n 20046147 for the pin (sold 5 per pack) and p/n 9721917 for the bushing (sold 20 per pack), but your dealer might break the packs for you. I bought my pins and bushings by the pack from an OEM online vendor and sold the rest on the parts for sale part of this forum.
Here are two threads: one is my first attempt to use aftermarket Dorman pins and buhsings and the second is my successful attempt using GM parts:

Thanks for the part numbers i will call around on monday to see what i can find!!! what do i need to do to get these out oh here with at lil to no labor and time at least needed???
Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
cmyc5575

What i am really hoping for is that the hinges are not wore out at all and this will fix the doors from sagging to a perky nice looking rack!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
tucsonjwt

Click on the links cited above. They show step by step procedure in words and some pictures, especially what not to do.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
tucsonjwt

If local dealers are not helpful (my local dealers just laughed at me), you can do what I always do. Check ebay and amazon first, then try the OEM online vendors:

www.autopartstomorrow.com
www.oehq.com
www.oewarehouse.com
www.gmpartsdirect.com
www.rockauto.com

Also just search google with those part numbers and you will find gm dealers who have online websites and some will sell you just one pin and one bushing at a time (or however many you want), but remember that shipping cost often makes a good deal a bad one. If you buy in packs the unused pins and bushings should sell well on this forum's parts website, as long as you just plan to get your money back and not inflate the original price.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Click on the links cited above. They show step by step procedure in words and some pictures, especially what not to do.
how much were the pins and bushings you bought??? ill hit up the dad about removing and install! his first truck was an 81 gmc sierra swb so he knows what i need to do there!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Pins are about $5 each and bushings are about $1 each. Each door takes 2 pins and 4 bushings.

If it is something you can not handle, just call around to some body shops and inquire what a "pins and bushings" replacement job would be on your square. I'm thinking it'll be in the $350 range for both doors.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
tucsonjwt

Please click on the links attached - prices for pack counts are listed there. It is not a difficult job even if you are a rank amateur like me - as long as you have something to support the door while working on it. If you don't have power windows or locks then it is a breeze.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Just noticed you're in OKC. I believe Bob Howard Parts Distribution center will be your best bet as they are a very large parts warehouse. If anyone will have them around you it is them and they will have a parts counter for walk in customers.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
cmyc5575

Thanks everyone for all the advice will try to knock it out this weekend!!!