The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Root2812

Planning a swap for my 1950 Chevy in Minnesota

Hey guys,

I've been reading the threads and I bought the Motorbooks Complete LS swap manual but a few things I am still worried about. Here is the idea for my swap. I want the look of an LS and to be able to pull a scamp camper. Thats it, no crazy power or anything, just looks and towing. I just like that corvette look of the intake and fuel rail covers when I open the hood. I understand the 4.8 will probably be able to do what I want but I just feel the 5.3 will be a better investment. My biggest worry is placing the engine since it will be my first ever engine swap and there are no mounts to start off with. Does any one have some tips or links to build threads for an advanced design truck getting a 5.3?

My next question is if I snag an older (00-02) truck 5.3 and I want the look of the car intake is there going to be a major difference between the LS1 or LS6 intakes? Thats what confuses me the most. I know the LS6 is more power capable but will an ls1 intake do what I want it to do? The LS1 intakes seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the LS6 intake. In fact there is an LS1 intake local for only $100 and the ebay LS6 ones are atleast $300.

I do plan on sending out the computer for programming but I want to take a stab at modifying my own harness. I'm definately not afraid to screw up on this but I atleast want to make sure I gather the right parts for the whole project.

My most important question.. Is there any one near by the twin cities that has done an LS swap and will just show me their truck and talk about their experiences in exchange for a few cold brews?

Sorry for all the text for only 3 questions.

Thanks in advance.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
chevy72blu

Re: Planning a swap for my 1950 Chevy in Minnesota

I am probably the last person to be giving advice (still learning myself), but since no one has responded yet...

A quick google search shows lots of guys swapping LSX/4l60/80e's into your body style. Here is a build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=154951

The 5.3 will likely do what you want (the LS1's only make 15 or so more HP, there advantage being that they are all aluminum).

The LS6 intake will make a bit more HP (5-15 depending on who you ask), but they are very pricey for such a marginal gain. You'd be much better off going with a better cam or having machine work done dollar for dollar. To swap a 5.3 to the LS1 intake I believe you also need the correct throttle body and cable/DBW for that setup. My LS1 is out of an 02 T/A and is DBC, but im not sure if LS1's could be had with DBW come to think of it...

This is the most popular reference for modifying your own harness. http://www.lt1swap.com/

PSI, Speartech, and many others can do this for you as well.

The most important thing is getting everything complete! Make sure you get the harness, accessories, PCM, DBW pedal and tac module (if applicable), etc all from the same motor. Saves a lot of headaches and $$ down the road.

Ls1tech and this site both have a ton of info. I have been reading for weeks and still feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes. The only way to do it is to jump in head first (at least thats what im telling myself).
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
blacklistcustoms

Be aware that some of the 5.3 are one year only for the drive by wire and ecm. the folks from www.ad-engineering.com had some major nightmares with the d.o.d. 5.3. LS forums will be a great benefit also. Cheers-Nate
91 K5 Blazer 4X4-wifes daily driver
73 K5 Blazer 4x4- project soon to be 2wd
50 3 window 3100
blacklistcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Root2812

I was planning on using the drive by cable system.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Root2812

Chevy72blu, I just checked out that thread you posted. I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough on what I am trying to learn about. Alot of guys on here are either doing an s10 frame swap or, like in that thread, cutting the frame off and grafting on a front clip from something else. I want to use the complete original frame with a mustang II set up so Basically I'll be locating my engine on to flat boxed frame rails. I haven't been able to find detailed pictures of how to mount the engine when there is nothing like old mounts to go by. It seems like alot of build threads skip over that part and just show a mounted engine.

Anyone got tips on the process of getting it all lined up and right?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

There are a few options... here is a simple one...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-LS...unts,7631.html

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 07-11-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: added pic
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
There are a few options... here is a simple one...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-LS...unts,7631.html

That would probably be your best bet. I have a buddy with an LS1 in a '39 Ford running the original frame that used these. Worked very well. It would be a good time to box your rails if you havent already done so.

You can either use your motor or a donor block for mockup. Get it sitting right and get to work. I find it easiest if you do the trans cross member first, get it bolted up, and set the motor/trans combo at the right elevation. You'll want to use a very good hoist so that it doesnt sink while taking measurements. Grinding welds off the frame isnt impossible, but its not fun either - so measure twice (or 5 times)! Make sure to check your clearances with headers/manifolds, column shift linkage, etc. The benefit to this is that you can usually mount it at the right angle to clear everything. The same cant be said for bolt in stuff.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Root2812

Thanks guys. I think that mount will do nicely. I have to put in a cross member and I know which one to buy. So you suggest I get that in first and then position the motor? Isn't the LS supposed to be angled 4 degrees to the back?

So on to my other question I asked. If your are not out for big horsepower or anything is the LS1 intake ok or is the LS6 just that much better? I assume both are just as difficult to swap in. I'm just talking the intake and not a whole LS1 motor. I am leaning toward a 5.3 with the car intake strictly to get the looks while trying to not blow the bank on performance I don't want.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I dont think you would notice a difference between the LS1 and LS6 intake if your not out for big HP...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
mooseknuckles

you just want it for looks anyways so go with the ls1 and save a few bucks...you'll prob need injectors and fuel rails too if your putting it on a truck motor....
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Biggest issue with running the car intake is the truck accessories won't clear without some modification. I highly doubt you would notice the difference between the LS1 and LS6 intake on a otherwise stock 5.3 or 4.8.

I'm moving to Ivanhoe, MN in a little over a month. Its about 3.5 hrs from the cities, but if you're ever in the area feel free to drop me a PM.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
mooseknuckles

x2 the trucks water pump neck will hit the throttle body if you run the ls1/ls6 intakes...you can solve this by running a f body water pump like I have done....now I just need an intake...
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote