The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
maxtruck

Gas back splash while filling gas.

Somewhat at a loss here, just bought this truck a 73 C-20 and like it a lot.

However the owner told me that I would have to turn the gasoline handle upside down while filling the tank, otherwise i would spill gasoline.

Sure enough he was right, but I cannot find any visible reason why it does not let the gas in without having some of it come out.
And I have to dispense it at 1/10 gal speed, faster creates a spill to.

Can somebody help the newbie out, and possibly turn me on to a link for a repair if possible?

Also my shifting indicator is not working, the owner mentioned adjusting the cable, and to be careful, is there any tread on this, I hate to mess it up.

TIA

Max
maxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Square_78

Re: Gas back splash while filling gas.

There was just a big thread on this... California trucks or something.
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
79 silverado
Account Suspended

As far as the shift indicator thing goes, I'm assuming this is an automatic truck and you are talking about the PRNDL letters with the needle...

There is a little metal clip attached to a wire that clips onto the edge of your steering column collar. This is the round tube shaped part that rotates when you pull the lever up or down to change the gears.

Based on what you are mentioning I foresee two possibilities:

1) the clip itself is stretched out and does not keep a tight grip on the column anymore thus winding up reading out of place.

2) a previous owner had either broken the clip off the cable or something of that nature so that when the little wire no longer tugs on the indicator.

The wire is small and thin, however, if it does break or is broken it is not a difficult repair to make and replace it with a new one, and the part is fairly cheap either used here on the board or through LMC truck or similar vendor... First step is going to be seeing what the cause of your problem is, and without my truck outside where I am right now to look at I cannot recall if you need to pull the gauge bezel off to expose the part the clip/wire attached to or not... but I am inclined to think you will need to from memory.

Go slow and gentle on removing the screws, starting with the four little ones on the plastic trim piece under the column so as not to crack anything and you should be fine... all in all maybe a 20-30 minute repair
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
maxtruck

79 silvarado thanks for the detailed info, i'm going to do it.

Square_78 thanks to you for the reply, this tread you referred to is that on this site or other site (California trucks) not so savvy yet with what is all available in the truck world.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Firebirdjones

We just had a discussion about the gas fill a few weeks ago it seems.

Turns out the guys having trouble live in California and have those goofy EPA vapor fill nozzles at the pumps.

I've never had an issue filling my truck anywhere unless I'm over in California dealing with those pumps, then I have issues. As a matter of fact I have an issue filling all my classic cars over there.

I'm guessing you live in Cali??
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
maxtruck

Firebirdjones yes I do, so under what "tread"do I find this subject, for what I dread is no solution for, thanks for the reply.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Firebirdjones

Hmm, I'm not good at searching but I'll see if I can find it.....

California was a good guess huh?

You are right, no real solution when dealing with those pumps,,,They are tricky and don't seem to fit down into the filler neck as far as other style pumps. Everytime we come to California I dread having to stop for gas I usually wind up with a gallon on the ground. Those things just aren't meant for old style classic car filler necks,,,and that's all I drive so.....
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
maxtruck

Smile Re: Gas back splash while filling gas.

Well at least I'm not alone, just for a minute thought I was the culprint, or something mechanical had to be adjusted.

Great if you find the tread, I tried under gasnozzle, gaspump,cali, in the search mode no luck.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Firebirdjones

Nope it's not anything you are doing or anything wrong with your truck.

I used to have an email link to the thread but I've since deleted that,,,,that would be too easy

I've tried typing it in various phrases with no luck. I know it didn't have California in the title as we sort of figured that out and narrowed it down during the discussion. There are some other states that I believe are using those nozzles as well.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Firebirdjones

Well I went into threads I've posted in through my profile but that didn't help since that search feature only goes back to July 2nd which isn't far enough.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
1774btcrew

I have the same problem with my truck and I live here in Phoenix AZ. It is ridiculous how slow I have to fill my tank!
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
Firebirdjones

Does Phoenix have any of those vapor style nozzles? I get down there every other week in various parts of town and I can't remember running into any...

I'd say that's probably an issue with your truck then.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
355bullet

Funny how this got posted!
I live in El Paso Tx, i was filling up my 1977 chevy siverado yesterday and it did the same thing. Had a hard time filling the tank. I had to hold the handle upright and slowing fill the tank. My 86 square body does not have that problem.
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Firebirdjones

I can fill either of my tanks on my 79 without a hickup,,,that is until I run into those vapor style California pumps. I've driven this truck accross country 3-4 times and I remember running into these pumps in some other states as well.

Keep in mind I never pump full speed anyway and prefer to control the flow. I don't trust the auto shut off features. I fill at about half speed and it always works just fine for me,,,,I don't even turn the nozzle upside down.

Those vapor nozzles on the other hand where you have to pull back the vapor cup to even activate the nozzle is another story, those are a pain in the rump.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
gramps77

Here you go....

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=530143
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
maxtruck

Thanks to all who have replied to my shout for assistance, think that this forum is made up of very decent folks, and I appreciate the input.

If some Professor Gadget or other Maverick on this board figures out how to expedite getting gas in the tank without spilling using the nozzles in Kalifurnia, I for one would be glad to hear about it, maybe we should get it patented .

Thanks Guys.

Max
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #17
75chev4x4

Same way here in Oregon too just go slow and it should be fine.
75chev4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #18
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Max, so long as you have to deal with the California vapor recovery nozzles, there is no cure. I've been dealing with this matter for 34+ years.