The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
magicoolbus

Re: Back up lights

If you look in the "passenger car and truck accessories installation and reference manual" (a must have by the way), there is the proper way to install the reverse light option. You did not mention if your truck is a stock application or newer running gear, this is important as period correct transmissions do not have a provision for a reverse light switch.

The factory had to design a switching system that worked off of the shift lever and they are different for column and floor type systems. The column type units are not hard to find for passenger car applications, but the column and floor mount types for trucks are made of unobtanium! If you do find a switching system, expect to pay handsomly for it. It was cheaper for me to switch from a SM420 to a SM465 trans which has switch provision.

If you have a two prong switch in the transmission, then you have it made, otherwise there are a few other options that I have found. You could mount a switch that is driver controlled. Unity made one that mounts under dash and is very cool. Another neat one is what VW used in the 50's and early 60's before their transmissions had a reverse switch. This little gem is made by bosch and mounts at the speedo head when you go backwards the speedo cable would turn backwards a bit causing a contact and a competion of a circuit to the back up lights. I have one I plan on installing on my sons bug.

My truck does not have the 'factory' style chrome bumper and has a dealer type step bumper so I have more light location options. I just ordered a set of front parking/driving lights from LMC and wired em up. The period correct locaton is on the fender as depicted in a previous post above.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote