The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
nitrosport_5

Newbie, looking to buy a truck. Any opinions?

Hey there, im new to the forum. Ive been on the hunt for a 72 chevy pickup. My dad had them when he was younger, tons of them. He passed away 2 years ago and every since i have been wanting to put together a truck as a tribute to him.

I ran across this truck locally. Its a 72 4x4. its got a nicely built 396, th350 with recent rebuild that leaks a bit, 4" lift, lots of chrome suspention pieces, i guess the suspention was built by a local 4x4 shop years ago.

the bad, nearly every body pannel is rusty. fenders are junk, rockers and floors are junk, bed is junk, the hood is good though LOL. BUT! he also has a nearly perfect cab, and a very nice box to go with it that is full of interior parts, extra headers, a fender, a hood, ect.

he was asking 5500 for it but i got him to 4500. would it be worth the money? Most of the parts are there to put it together, would need 1 fender, probably a new bumper up front as well as grill. I have the hoist to replace the cab and box but will need to con a few friends into changing it over lol. And i think if i do the body work i know a guy that would paint it for a case of beer and some smokes.

tell me what you guys think, am i crazy for passing it up for 4500 bux, or am i stupid for considering it at 4500 lol. Thanks
Attached Images

nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: Newbie, looking to buy a truck. Any opinions?

It looks like your looking at a 5k truck AFTER you do all the work. No 4x4s came with a big block so that would raise a red flag, as to the rest of the truck being real check all the numbers...VIN should start with a K for 4x4.
I would keep on looking.
And welcome aboard!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
nitrosport_5

thanks for the info. I didnt know that 4x4s never came with a 396. i knew this one didnt because it had the 350 badge on the fender. I kinda like the fact that it has a big block in it, not looking for a perfect restoration, but just a nice toy.. that likes fuel LOL.

I offered the guy 4,000. hes got quite a few good parts and i think it would be a decent project. I doubt he will take 4, thats 1500 less than he was asking, but we will see. If not, i will keep looking. ill find the right one eventually
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
1ATony

I love those trucks but that particular one looks like it needs quite a bit of work.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
nitrosport_5

Well, i bought it. I think i made a decent buy. this truck drives excellent, runs great, everything is purely cosmetic. frame is in great shape, has 4" rancho lift, recent Holly carb, long tube headers, 35" tires, underneath it has chrome everywhere, diff covers, front brake disk back covers, diff skidplates, ect. guy had a lot of very nice parts that come with it, almost everything to build the truck.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
71swb4x4

Congrats!! Get it put together and drive the wheels off it. The white parts look nice, almost nice enough to run without new paint.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
nitrosport_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Congrats!! Get it put together and drive the wheels off it. The white parts look nice, almost nice enough to run without new paint.
It's a good 20 footer. Rust everywhere on body. Plan is to swap cab and bed this winter. While the cab and bed are off I will repaint the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
bowtie72

Congrats. I think you done real well on the truck with the parts that came with it. The cab rust is probably the most time and money to fix, one came with it. If your bed and cab are in great shape you done real well. The 4x4's are increasing in value in some areas. Good luck and have fun with it.