The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Rob68c10

Six speed swap? Who has done it? Yes I searched

I searched many different ways for a 6 speed swap, but every time I search the word (six) or the number (6) gets omitted from the search. I can't find anybody who has done the swap.
Rob68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
dznucks

Re: Six speed swap? Who has done it? Yes I searched

I just did it to a '69. What do you want to know?
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
ryans69chevy

Do you have any pics of the install? Any helpful hints?

Thanks,
Ryan
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
ulakovic22

Need a large hump, I used an auto crossmember. Mine is a LT1 T56 so I have the slave on the side of the bellhousing that causes issues with header clearance. There isn't a whole lot to getting it in there.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
Do you have any pics of the install? Any helpful hints?

Thanks,
Ryan
see above post....
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
dznucks

I havent taken any good pic other than these that were taken during install.

You can go with or without the high hump. I stuck with my low hump and left the engine in the I6 location and used the I6 engine perches. I used the auto crossmember, but ended up having to flip it and hack it because of clearance with the low hump. I will custom fab a better x member later.

There are two different T-56's, an LS and an LT. The differences are in the belhousing and input shafts. Also 5th and 6th gear will vary and I think the slave cylinder is different. I used an LT cause i got a good deal. Installed a mid shift kit and upgraded syncro keys and shift forks when i rebuilt it. Either way you go, your going to spend alot mating it to a Gen I SBC.

I used American Powertrain for the flywheel and clutch. The flywheel is custom ordered and cheaper than a Centerforce or Fidanza. The clutches they sell as kits or in pieces.

For the slave, i figured out that a '89 comaro slave is an aluminum version of the '93-'96 plastic slave that is supposed to go with the trans. Has the same bore and stroke, cheaper, aluminum, and made in italy.

I removed VSS (skip shift) and plugged the hole with a customized metric oil pan plug. My shift knob has a button that activates the reverse lockout. I havent hooked up reverse lights or electric speedo yet.

You will have to shorten your driveshaft as well. You can buy aftermarket dust sheilds from www.f2b.com for $32.95.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Rob68c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
I havent taken any good pic other than these that were taken during install.

You can go with or without the high hump. I stuck with my low hump and left the engine in the I6 location and used the I6 engine perches. I used the auto crossmember, but ended up having to flip it and hack it because of clearance with the low hump. I will custom fab a better x member later.

There are two different T-56's, an LS and an LT. The differences are in the belhousing and input shafts. Also 5th and 6th gear will vary and I think the slave cylinder is different. I used an LT cause i got a good deal. Installed a mid shift kit and upgraded syncro keys and shift forks when i rebuilt it. Either way you go, your going to spend alot mating it to a Gen I SBC.

I used American Powertrain for the flywheel and clutch. The flywheel is custom ordered and cheaper than a Centerforce or Fidanza. The clutches they sell as kits or in pieces.

For the slave, i figured out that a '89 comaro slave is an aluminum version of the '93-'96 plastic slave that is supposed to go with the trans. Has the same bore and stroke, cheaper, aluminum, and made in italy.

I removed VSS (skip shift) and plugged the hole with a customized metric oil pan plug. My shift knob has a button that activates the reverse lockout. I havent hooked up reverse lights or electric speedo yet.

You will have to shorten your driveshaft as well. You can buy aftermarket dust sheilds from www.f2b.com for $32.95.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have into the swap? I have a 307/powerglide and have a 327 out of a 66 vette as a candidate to go in. Before asking this question I knew that the driveshaft will need shortening, but the things I was concerned about were mating to the gen 1 engine and whatnot. Would there be a better engine selection to go with? Also any advantage to using the i6 engine mounts in that location over the v8?
Rob68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
dznucks

Buying the T-56 with the original engine it came with would be ideal and probably the cheapest option in the long run. The only issue is finding the right combo at the right price.

The flywheel, clutch, and shift conversion will be your biggest cost at roughly $400 each. Then you have the hydraulic clutch set up and driveshaft shortening is about another $200. another $100 in an x member, bushings, hardware, etc.
dont forget about the cost of the t-56 itself and any maintenance and upgrades it may need.

See why a $1800-2000 engine tranny combo might be a better option. A Gen II SBC with one piece rear main would be a different story because the stock flywheel could be used. You could spend the $400 you save on the flywheel on a 1-piece rear main roller engine.

as far as the clutch goes, there is only one manufacturer of the LT pressure plate in the world. Doesnt matter what brand clutch kit or it Hp rating, the pressure plate is the same. You can go to parts store and buy their kit with warranty and then buy an aftermarket friction disk from any supplier and come out cheaper than buying a name brand clutch kit.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
dan42

Do you have a picture of the shifter on the interior of the truck?
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
dznucks

Here you go. The shifter come through about 7-9" forward of the bench seat. This is another reason I chose to use the I6 locations. If the engine was in the V-8 position, the shifter would be furhter forward from this location.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

This is all so RACY I can barely stand to sit here and read it.....Im off to the race barn to see what I can get my hands into. BTW...look at that custom transmission x-member!!! Rottenwood Garage at its best!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
dan42

Thanks for posting that picture - I've got the SM465 but it would sure be nice to have the 6 speed.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
dznucks

The fifth and sixth gear are nice, but you got to do some serious highway driving to use them.

Currently I have a 3.42 12 bolt in the rear. I am cruising at 50mph in 5th gear turning 1200rpm. Thats too low for any incline or acceleration, but it just sips gas on a flat road.

I am building a 12 bolt with 4.10's and an Eaton truetrac currently. I hope to have that in by the end of the month.

Quote:
BTW...look at that custom transmission x-member!!! Rottenwood Garage at its best!
Yes, that is a shining example of the kind of thinking that goes on at Rottenwood in the 11th hour. Upside down, backwords, and hacked up.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Hart_Rod

Quote:
The fifth and sixth gear are nice, but you got to do some serious highway driving to use them.

Currently I have a 3.42 12 bolt in the rear. I am cruising at 50mph in 5th gear turning 1200rpm. Thats too low for any incline or acceleration, but it just sips gas on a flat road.

I am building a 12 bolt with 4.10's and an Eaton truetrac currently. I hope to have that in by the end of the month.

Yes, that is a shining example of the kind of thinking that goes on at Rottenwood in the 11th hour. Upside down, backwords, and hacked up.
I'm really interested to see how that works for you so I can decide what gears I'm going to use. What size tires are you going to run in the rear?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
dznucks

Quote:
I'm really interested to see how that works for you so I can decide what gears I'm going to use.

Ok. I'll let you know. Didn't you buy Shifty's LS 6 speed project?

Based on how it rides with the 3.42's, i think the 4.10's will be perfect. My T-56 has the .5:1 6th. I am not happy with my tires right now. They are a little over 29".
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Ok. I'll let you know. Didn't you buy Shifty's LS 6 speed project?

Based on how it rides with the 3.42's, i think the 4.10's will be perfect. My T-56 has the .5:1 6th. I am not happy with my tires right now. They are a little over 29".
Yes I bought his truck for my son. Are you going to go with a shorter tire? I was thinking 29's with the 4.11 would be just about right....
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
dznucks

I am not sure what I will do about a tire size. I want different rims and tires anyways.

The tire size will be my last opportunity to fine tune the speed/rpm's at cruise.

How's the project coming along for your son? Still doing the 6 speed, i assume. Did you get past the hydraulic clutch issue Shifty was having?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
Hart_Rod

Quote:
How's the project coming along for your son? Still doing the 6 speed, i assume. Did you get past the hydraulic clutch issue Shifty was having?
Just buying parts for it right now. Also working on a shop to "house" it in. He figured it out before I picked it up, at least I think he did, . I believe he talks about it in the thread he has on the LS1 board.

EDIT: Exactly which problems are you talking about? I guess I should have asked that first......
Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
trkfrk

Here are a few pictures of mine. LS1 with the T56. I plan on staying with the 3.73 gearing in the rear-end. Its not complete yet.

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
jeffg1010

[quote=trkfrk;5119230]Here are a few pictures of mine. LS1 with the T56. I plan on staying with the 3.73 gearing in the rear-end. Its not complete yet.

quote]

Not to highjack, but ... Is that a "hammered" texture style paint on your chassis? Man, it looks good. Need a close up shot!

Hey, if you decide you need a high hump... I've got one! It's for sale in my Blazer parts thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500099

1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
dznucks

Quote:
EDIT: Exactly which problems are you talking about? I guess I should have asked that first......
he was having a hard time finding a 5/16-24 extension or coupler to hook the clutch pedal to the master cylinder.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
trkfrk

quote]

Not to highjack, but ... Is that a "hammered" texture style paint on your chassis? Man, it looks good. Need a close up shot!

Hey, if you decide you need a high hump... I've got one! It's for sale in my Blazer parts thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500099

[/quote]

Yes, its powder coated "Hammered Gray". One of the best decisions I made on my build so far.

I also used a "high hump" but modified it for the new shifter location.

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
Blown&Stroked

Ill be doing a T56 swap into my 70 short bed with a sbc 383 and 3:73 gears . Ive got the T56 out of a 06 GTO because it has a taller 1st gear of 2.97 which will help are heavy trucks get out of the whole alot better vs the 2.66 1st gear of the F-body T56's .

I will be staying old school though and using mechanical linkage by using the new Quicktime Bell housing RM-6023PB which i ordered a couple of days ago .

Still gathering all the parts i need , should be soon enough .
Blown&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
superwade57

Dznucks- I'm putting a t56 in my 86 right now. I ran into an issue hope you can help. I have a Gen 1 block centerforce adapter flywheel and I am having troubles finding a starter that fits. Stock wont fit in the bellhousing also tried a stock starter from a 70camaro 4spd car which has a smaller nose but still no go. What are you using for a starter. Also where did you get your 89 slave? Part number?
Posted via Mobile Device
superwade57 is offline   Reply With Quote