The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

LS Swap headers/Dropmember

Anyone tried these headers or know if the will work with LS swap with Porterbuilt's front dropmember??

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-40000/?rtype=10
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
paul66c10

Re: LS Swap headers/Dropmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJchev77 View Post
Anyone tried these headers or know if the will work with LS swap with Porterbuilt's front dropmember??

no clue on those i tried the schoenfeld ls swap headers for the 88-99 stye trucks and the driver side hits the rear of the control arm where it mounts to the dropmember and im still trying to see if i can get any steering linkage in there. I think i may send mine back and try the fbody headers, some people have had luck with them.
1986 gmc shortbed (right now its rough) porterbuilt dropmember front mmw flat plate uppers and lowers, soon to have porterbuilt rear dropmember, painted cherry red rallies, flat green primer in the works with a gloss white roof, 92 civic dx daily beater, 01 z06 new toy
paul66c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

I'd like to stay with Shorty Headers if possible, can't seem to find any that don't have fitment issues... I'll check out the f-body headers...

By the way, did you have to tunnel the cab floor for the LS and DM for the trans or drive shaft?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
paul66c10

Quote:
I'd like to stay with Shorty Headers if possible, can't seem to find any that don't have fitment issues... I'll check out the f-body headers...

By the way, did you have to tunnel the cab floor for the LS and DM for the trans or drive shaft?
yes im gonna have to raise the trans tunnel. i picked up a bolt in raise tunnel from a early 80's 4x4 that im gonna make work. not sure about the driveshaft yet. my truck is a rolling frame with the engine and tranny installed. Right now im in the process of installing the rear dropmember.
1986 gmc shortbed (right now its rough) porterbuilt dropmember front mmw flat plate uppers and lowers, soon to have porterbuilt rear dropmember, painted cherry red rallies, flat green primer in the works with a gloss white roof, 92 civic dx daily beater, 01 z06 new toy
Old 07-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Well, just confirmed that if your're running a one piece with the LS you will have to tunnel for the drive shaft. Or run a two piece. I have the large hump and it seems to hit the front of it, may have to do some trimming there.

Good luck with the rear DM, pretty easy install!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
osaltyone

Quote:
Well, just confirmed that if your're running a one piece with the LS you will have to tunnel for the drive shaft. Or run a two piece. I have the large hump and it seems to hit the front of it, may have to do some trimming there.

Good luck with the rear DM, pretty easy install!
Did you talk to Nate to confirm? What year do you have to run a 2 piece? I am running the fbody stock manifolds and they work with the 5.3 and the DM. I am running the DM up front and KP 6 link in the rear; I don't hit the cab. The 4L60e trans is very close to the tunnel, but the cab fit.
I did put new body mounts on though this 82 frame (not sure if that makes a difference).

On my old 305 and frame my drive shaft hit the back of the cab, but with new mounts and frame it is not.
osaltyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaltyone View Post
Did you talk to Nate to confirm? What year do you have to run a 2 piece? I am running the fbody stock manifolds and they work with the 5.3 and the DM. I am running the DM up front and KP 6 link in the rear; I don't hit the cab. The 4L60e trans is very close to the tunnel, but the cab fit.
I did put new body mounts on though this 82 frame (not sure if that makes a difference).

On my old 305 and frame my drive shaft hit the back of the cab, but with new mounts and frame it is not.
I got the word from Dave at PB. I have brand new poly mounts, and the drive shaft will definitely hit the cab, not too much but I also have the crossmember for the carrier bearing to mount to, that I have to cut. No big deal, just wanted to make sure before I started cutting.

My trans will fit, with slight mod to get the -5* angle. Your drive shaft is in and doesn't hit the cab? Is that because the KP kit comes with a smaller notch, possibly?

Where is a good place to get the F-body Manifolds?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
paul66c10

Quote:
I got the word from Dave at PB. I have brand new poly mounts, and the drive shaft will definitely hit the cab, not too much but I also have the crossmember for the carrier bearing to mount to, that I have to cut. No big deal, just wanted to make sure before I started cutting.

My trans will fit, with slight mod to get the -5* angle. Your drive shaft is in and doesn't hit the cab? Is that because the KP kit comes with a smaller notch, possibly?

Where is a good place to get the F-body Manifolds?
probably ebay. If i have to go with manifolds i'll probably just use the ones that came off my 01 z06
Old 07-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

My zo6 never made it to my driveway, so I'll settle for ebay I guess lol
Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Well, i'm gonna give the BBK 40000 LS1 Vette Headers a try. Did some measuring and I think they just might fit.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Well..... the search continue's, the BBK's although a great looking header... do not fit. They hit the frame and steering cuts through about half of the second header. ... Guess it may be TBSS manifolds... how boring!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
terrylgreenjr

Im not sure of the space conflict with the dropmember but I ordered these they are direct factory replacement for the 2010-2012 Camaro and they fit perfect
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130675373809...809%26_rdc%3D1
terrylgreenjr is offline   Reply With Quote