The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Highlander Question

I am looking at buying this truck to get the seat. I found this one and it looks like a Highlander seat to me. If it is a Highlander seat what on the Spid tells you the truck has the Highlander package?
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: Highlander Question

Its the custom trim combination. Sometimes they will say the color and plaid trim. Seen them several different ways.
Posted via Mobile Device

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Its the custom trim combination. Sometimes they will say the color and plaid trim. Seen them several different ways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I guess Canadian trucks list it differently. That's definitely a Highlander seat,since it's a Chevy. GMCs offered the plaid as an individual option. US-built trucks usually list the Highlander as Promotional Pkg #A,B,or C and sometimes Highlander Plaid,etc.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
jocko

concur -not sure how it's listed in Canada either, but Custom Trim in US is not the same as Highlander. "Special Promo Package" or something like that, as Special K highlighted, indicated a Highlander truck - and that included the plaid seat. But the seat trim also normally appears on the SPID of a Highlander (or could be ordered separately as mentioned) - but either it would show up on the SPID as "Orange (or Green, or Blue or Gray) Plaid seat trim... etc.

But yes - that IS a plaid seat and it is the type associated with a highlander.

Why buy a whole truck for the seat? Why not just buy a new highlander seat cover from one of the vendors - Truckseats, perhaps? it's a nice truck, I'd keep er all together, and then STILL buy a separate seat cover for whatever truck you currently need it for
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I have a new black and white houndtooth seat cover I did buy from Tim at Truckseats. The seat in my pink and white 72 is from an 80's truck and I need a 71/72 seat to put the new seat cover on. I'm not having much luck finding a seat around here so I'm thinking of buying a whole truck to get a seat and then parting it out or selliing it with the 80's seat from my truck in it. It wouldn't be the first time I've bought a whole vehicle to get parts the resold it. In 1985 I bought a tired 1970 Dodge Charger R/T ( Panther Pink of course) and over the 6 years I spent retoring it bought and sold 4 other Chargers to get parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I bought one of these trucks because it was the first one I saw with tilt. I paid $600,swapped columns,and sold it for $800. In the '80s I thought I made a killing!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
peterbuilt

J70 - Hydraulic Brake Boost option?
If not too much trouble I would sure like to see a photo of that set-up.
peterbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
SS Tim

Well 613 is the trim code for a green plaid insert on a US built truck. So it is probably the correct seat for that truck. Highlander Plaid was a trim option only based on Z62 or Z84 (Blazer only) optioned vehicle. In addition promo packages A,B and C were offered that bundled several options in addition to the Plaid trim. Thus a promo package truck was a Highlander but a Highlander was NOT ALWAYS a promo package equipped truck.

Highlander trim codes
All include black dash pad, steering column (with or without tilt) and carpet. In addition the door panels, visors, console (Blazer only) and seat belts were parchment (white). Seat vinyl was also parchment and the insert color is determined by the specific code. So the only variable color keyed component was the insert color of the seatcovers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pickups Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
green 613
blue 611
gray 604
orange 618

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Suburbans Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
green 647
blue 642
gray 639
orange 651

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Blazer Cheyenne (CST) Z84 mandatory option
green 680
blue 677
gray 671
orange 686

Promo package codes
A= YG6 (code 6 needs spid verification) Plaid Trim, Special wheelcovers/chrome hubcaps, Chrome front bumper, Upper (belt) molding, Door edge guards and Below Eye-Line mirrors.
B= YG7 Adds Turbo. automatic trans., Power steering and Tilt.
C= YG8 Adds A/C and tint.

Buying a truck for the seat alone is one way of gettting a correct cover. But it alone, won't make a truck a Highlander trim truck or a Highlander promo package truck.

Like Jocko said a replacement cover is a useable alternative but so far the inserts have been out 90* as compared to known original covers and period post delivery pictures. We had a long thread on the trim and covers and I have done a lot of research to combine the codes and specifics. In that I verified the trim was a stand alone option and that package trucks included but were not the exclusive plaid trim option path.

Now some of the information was corrected as the thread runs but there are lots of great pictures.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=527079
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbuilt View Post
J70 - Hydraulic Brake Boost option?
If not too much trouble I would sure like to see a photo of that set-up.
Don't get excited. In '72 power brakes were still an option on C10s. It is the same, normal, vacuum setup as seen on many, many other trucks. Think hydraulic brakes, vacuum boosted.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
concur -not sure how it's listed in Canada either, but Custom Trim in US is not the same as Highlander.
Then what does 'custom trim combination' mean then? THe Highlanders I've seen usually will say Special Promotional, then also list a seat color ie, blue plaid or some other color. The ones that don't list it usually say custom trim combination. This is a pic of a US truck listed this way.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
ls1nova71

Ok, sstim posted ALOT of info while I was looking for my pic! Answered my question, 604 is gray plaid, which is what this truck had.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
jocko

LS1nova71 - thanks for posting that - did the truck on the SPID above have a plaid seat? If not - that would make sense - if it did, than I'm starting to get confused! That SPID is definitely a highlander - and I would assume a Custom Trim Combination would mean it had something different than the Highlander plaid seat. So, if it origianlly had a plaid seat - I'd be very interested to know - and I'd learn something in the process - i.e. that, on a highlander, the plaid seat could be referred to as a Custom Ctim Combo. Very interesting! I have seen that same nomenclature on trucks that did not have plaid seats, so I always thought it was a way of calling out the trim level on a "not with the package" seat. If that makes any sense..
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
..I'm not having much luck finding a seat around here so I'm thinking of buying a whole truck to get a seat and then parting it out...1970 Dodge Charger R/T ( Panther Pink of course)...
If you do in fact buy the truck for the seat and intend to replace the cover, I would be very interested in having the cover as a correct example of size and stripe pattern. So please put me at the head of the list subject to final shipped costs.

Panther Pink Charger... Pictures please! :-)
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
ls1nova71

Yes, it did have the plaid seat, the number 160410-custom trim combination, which if you take off the first 1, and the 10 at the end leaves the middle number of 604, which ss tim posted is a gray plaid seat. Don't know why some SPIDs have the six digit codes and some only have the three, but that's how it reads. I have never seen a truck with custom trim combination that didn't have a plaid seat.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
...That SPID is definitely a highlander - and I would assume a Custom Trim Combination would mean it had something different than the Highlander plaid seat..
jocko Highlander plaid was in fact by definition a custom trim combination literally! It did not follow the normal trim card callouts for a "Custom Deluxe" interior but was in fact special or custom. Unlike most interiors the trim items were a specifc combination regardless of option content, interior or exterior color. The only color variable was the inserts in the seat covers.

As far as the callout on the SPID it seems to be a plant variation from what I have seen. Remember its the code not the words that define the RPO option. So In this case 604 grey plaid is written 604 custom trim combination. In the end they are both grey highlander plaid trim interiors. Below is another example of a package truck, a YG8 with a 647 custom trim combination (green suburban). It shows the code over description as RPO definition.

BTW LS1nova71 thanks for posting a confirming SPID picure for a YG6 package A truck.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
... Highlander Plaid was a trim option only based on Z62 or Z84 (Blazer only) optioned vehicle. In addition promo packages A,B and C were offered that bundled several options in addition to the Plaid trim. Thus a promo package truck was a Highlander but a Highlander was NOT ALWAYS a promo package equipped truck.

Highlander trim codes
All include black dash pad, steering column (with or without tilt) and carpet. In addition the door panels, visors, console (Blazer only) and seat belts were parchment (white). Seat vinyl was also parchment and the insert color is determined by the specific code. So the only variable color keyed component was the insert color of the seatcovers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pickups Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
green 613
blue 611
gray 604
orange 618

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Suburbans Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
green 647
blue 642
gray 639
orange 651

Blazer Cheyenne (CST) Z84 mandatory option
green 680
blue 677
gray 671
orange 686

Promo package codes
A= YG6 Plaid Trim, Special wheelcovers/chrome hubcaps, Chrome front bumper, Upper (belt) molding, Door edge guards and Below Eye-Line mirrors.
B= YG7 Adds Turbo. automatic trans., Power steering and Tilt.
C= YG8 Adds A/C and tint.

YG6 Has now been verified with a SPID callout. So keep a copy of this list in you SPID decode files.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
jocko

Quote:
jocko Highlander plaid was in fact by definition a custom trim combination literally! It did not follow the normal trim card callouts for a "Custom Deluxe" interior but was in fact special or custom. Unlike most interiors the trim items were a specifc combination regardless of option content, interior or exterior color. The only color variable was the inserts in the seat covers.

As far as the callout on the SPID it seems to be a plant variation from what I have seen. Remember its the code not the words that define the RPO option. So In this case 604 grey plaid is written 604 custom trim combination. In the end they are both grey highlander plaid trim interiors. Below is another example of a package truck, a YG8 with a 647 custom trim combination (green suburban). It shows the code over description as RPO definition.

BTW LS1nova71 thanks for posting a confirming SPID picure for a YG6 package A truck.
So, in other words, an actual special promo package highlander truck with plaid seat could have either the "(color) Plaid Seat Trim" or "Custom Trim Combination" listed on the SPID. Good to know. The vast majority of the full blown highlanders I've seen that had Special Promo Pkg on the SPID also had the "(color) Plaid Seat Trim" annotation also rather than the Custom Trim Combination listed. But I guess we've seen the factory being slightly less than consistent on other things too. Good info.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
SS Tim

Yes, as shown above, LS1nova71's SPID is for a Package A (YG6) promo truck with the 604 interior code notated as "custom trim combination", Also the Suburban SPID I posted for a Package C (YG8) with the trim code 647 is notated as "custom trim combination" as well. The Flint plant SPIDS tend to be a little different in their RPO descriptions as compared to the other plants.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
If you do in fact buy the truck for the seat and intend to replace the cover, I would be very interested in having the cover as a correct example of size and stripe pattern. So please put me at the head of the list subject to final shipped costs.

Panther Pink Charger... Pictures please! :-)
http://pantherpink.com/fm3070.htm

Tim, If I get the truck no problem on the seat cover, and I'm sure shipping won't be an issue. I've posted a link to the page on PantherPink.com where my car is featured. Make sure you click on the link on the page so you can see what the car looked when I bought it in 1985.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
jocko

Ok, I grew up driving Darts... (my folk's cars) until my 1st one of my own - a 57 bel air. But, as you might guess, I have an admitted soft spot for the occasional cool mopar. And that one qualifies. Holy cow, that's gorgeous.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
SS Tim

Thank You for the link! Great site and a well done restoration on your part. Been a while for me, about twenty years in fact, but the desire for a pink mopar never really went away. Hope you haven't rekindled an addiction.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 08-26-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: picture went missing