The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Dieselholic92

School me on 1953 GMC 2 ton trucks

I recently posted pictures in the picture thread of a 1953 GMC fire truck that my grandpa gave me for free. My plan is to get it running and driving. My family owns an excavating company so I've been around heavy equipment all my life, I've worked on lots of our equipment in the shop, I've worked on my grandpas 1960 Studebaker 1 1/2 ton truck getting it running and driving, I also own and work on all of the vehicles in my signature, I'm in the process of a mechanical restoration of a 1935 Caterpillar RD6, and I've worked on a few 5.9 Cummins motors since I own a Dodge diesel myself. So that's my mechanical back ground. Any tips or tricks, or things I should know about this 53 GMC? It's been sitting since 1991. I'm going to clean it up, pour some oil down the cylinders, change all of the fluids, go through the brakes, basic stuff like that.