The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
WALYS60

A 'one off' in a car show

Hello all,

This is my first post so I would like to give a little background information for framing and then pose the question(s).

WALYS60 (personalized lic plate) is my grandfather (Wally) and I have his 1960 GMC pickup. I rescued it from the side of my Pop’s house where it had been sitting for the last 22 years. I have it in the shop right now, unbelievably purring like a kitten without any major work done to date. Just waiting on break adjustment and probably a new radiator if they can’t repair the old one (them things are pricy!).

My intentions are to do a frame off restore once I’ve gotter driving. After weighing all the options I have decided to go as original as possible as basically a tribute to the great man that I inherited it from. The thing is, it already has some ‘upgrades’ like an alternator, after market A/C (original) screw on oil filter adapter, etc. So my thought was to do more of a ‘period’ restoration. Where I only do upgrades that were available at the time. For instance, the truck was originally solid Cape blue and was repainted white in ’62, so I want to combine the two into a two tone cape blue/white. I also found Rick’s and absolutely love their turquoise and white vinyl seat cover. Which means I probably wouldn’t want to go original with any of the interior paint colors. I would still use the available cape blue and white though, so keeping to my ‘period’ intent. As would the seat cover, etc. Also, once complete, my brother and I intend to take the truck to shows.

So, my question is sort of multi-faceted. First off, I know nothing about shows other than gawking at them for many years. Would I get gigged for the interior and ‘period’ restorations? Also the alternator, for instance, isn’t even period so I worry about that. Do I need to go back to a generator? Is there a category that is sort of ‘one-off’ vs. custom or would my truck just not fit and lose every show I put it in?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ron S.
WALYS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
66clow

Re: A 'one off' in a car show

I would have to say it will vary from show to show. Alot of shows allow for upgrades to be in a stock class the don't alter the vehicle. You have custom classes that alter the susp, body mods. I would say just color changes and simple bolt ons you should be fine over all at most shows.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Hi Ron! Welcome to the board!

As far as shows go, if you are not at a concourse show that is judging on absolute factory original components, then you have nothing to worry about. Almost all car shows appreciate cars no matter what their status or level of completion. There are particular shows that have rules, such as Billetproof, they don't allow billet or digital gauges or trailer queens. Those are the type of shows I like to attend, where people drive what they build.

Glad to hear that you are keeping the V6 in the truck.

Check this thread out:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=361058

That is my old '60 GMC that another board member now owns.

And here is my '60 Suburban that I have now. It is factory two tone cape blue and olympic white:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=445526

Be sure and post some pics up when you get a chance.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

It really depends on the type of show. At a concours, obviously they will dock you....but I'm pretty sure no one here brings a truck to that kind of show.

For most weekend shows, there are usually broader classes i.e. Factory Stock, Classic Truck, resto-mod/prostreet/protouring, and stuff like Mustang or Camaro specific classes.

Bigger shows have more categories; so you'll have best resto truck, best custom truck, best latemodel truck, best wild custom. etc etc etc.

I really wouldn't worry about a few period components, many shows would be fine with that over bolt-on summit dress up parts and the kind of things that find their way into some engine bays.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
WALYS60

Hey thanks for the replies and the welcome!

Corts, WOW…lol. Can’t believe you sold-er. That’s pretty close to exactly what I’m shooting for. Probably going to go with the pattern you have on the burb though, where the blue goes up to mid-side. You even have it pulling the trailer I was thinking I need eventually!

Yea, I definitely will be keeping it a driver. Maybe not daily once it’s painted, but for sure not trailering it to shows, etc. The shows won’t be anything fancy I’m sure. I won’t be doing ANYTHING digital or billet believe me. My grampa didn’t ever even put a radio in it. I’ll probably throw something portable in cause I do like the idea of listening to the oldies in it. I want it to feel like it did when we rode around in at as kids though for the most part…fond memories. Main thing is, if I’m going to go to the effort of showing it, I might as well at least have a shot at placing and don’t want to be DQ’d as an original or then have to go up against some of the ridiculous total custom jobs. Sounds like I can go with my period idea and if I find the alternator causes heartache I can worry about it later.

Most definitely keeping that V6, that’s what makes it unique. May not be able to dive over 65, but I’m in no hurry

Thanks again all.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
WALYS60

BR3W...that's it! "Classic Truck" category, they have that eh? That sounds like just what I'd qualify for. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
It really depends on the type of show. At a concours, obviously they will dock you....but I'm pretty sure no one here brings a truck to that kind of show.
Ah, ahem... not many of us anyway.
I say go all-original, or don't worry about that at all. It's either original, or it's not.
No matter which way you go, if your wish is to place at shows then make sure your work is clean and adds up to a coherent whole. Seldom do the hodgepodge builds get much attention. That said, not all show stoppers are polished gems. I've seen some knockout builds that were a bit rough around the edges but show mad skill and great artistic vision on the part of the owner.
Bottom line, do what YOU like and enjoy the process. If you do it well, plenty of folks will enjoy it with you.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALYS60 View Post
BR3W...that's it! "Classic Truck" category, they have that eh? That sounds like just what I'd qualify for. Thanks!
They do....but they screw you and they put my LS swapped tubbed pro street truck in the same class in some places.

OEM4Me, you actually concours show them? I know you "the stock" guy around here, but I didn't know you did the "points" shows.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
63burban
Chevy addict

Screw the shows and judging, build it like YOU own it, drive it and enjoy it the way YOU want it. The best tophys are bugs on the front of the truck and a smile on you face that can't be removed.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
jtj143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
The best trophys are bugs on the front of the truck and a smile on you face that can't be removed.
Well spoken!
'65 GMC Suburban 4X4, '71 GMC 4X4 LWB - The Yellow Eyed Monster, '86 C10 Silverado - Oldest Daughter's Pickup, '88 S15 GMC Work Truck, '95 GMC SLE 4X4 - Second Daughter's Truck, '99 K1500 GMC Suburban Road Trip Machine, 2000 C2500 W/T Utility Bed Work Truck, '03 Silverado - Wife's Grocery Getter
jtj143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
broey
Square

I go to a lot of shows in Arizona, and I cant think of 1 show that you would have a problem entering a class in. however, being the truck is a 60's it's a little late to be considered a traditional ride. Which is what most of the shows around here that have a mild or stock class for your truck will be. That being said. I don't want to be mr. negativity, but a stock looking truck from the 60's probably isn't going to get a lot of attention around here. There are 10-15 of them at every show. And none of them ever win.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Don't build your truck for shows... build it for your enjoyment. You will be much happier in the end than with some $5 plastic trophy...
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Dunenutt
Newbee

I have entered quite a few shows in Arizona, and my truck is anything but "correct". This year, I have received a "best in class", and a "peoples choice truck" award. I had zero expectations to win either trophy.

They are all different! Some will have it generalized to "truck" or "4x4", and others will break it down to era ( such as 67-72 truck). Some shows are points shows, and you should do everything to earn points.

Goodguys is the largest show, and they judge based of if the judge " likes it"

People want to see what you have. Open the hood, open the doors, have pictures of the build. I spend most of my time talking to people about why, and how I did things on the truck.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Bottom line, I feel, is that going to car shows should be for pure and simple enjoyment. I love the car shows I attend and I keep going back every year. If I try a new car show out and I feel they let cars in that don't belong, then I don't go to that show again. As you start entering and going to more shows, you'll find the ones you like and don't like. But, don't let trying to win be your only motivation to enter shows, just have fun, chat with gear heads, have a beverage or two and sit back and relax.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
OEM4Me, you actually concours show them? I know you "the stock" guy around here, but I didn't know you did the "points" shows.
Well, yes, but not all concours are run the same. I have done the points thing with other cars where "deductions" are tallied up for a final score, but the truck was judged a little differently.
It has been entered in the VCCA preservation class and scored quite well with top honors in it's class three out of three years entered. And while I'm bragging, it also won "best of the best" un-restored vehicle of 2010 when up against all other preservation class winners (not just trucks) from VCCA shows nationwide that year. Not bad for a simple 6 cyl work truck.
The way that VCCA class (called HPOCF) works, is that deductions are made for items that appear to have been altered from original. Original meaning actual factory parts AND finishes. A perfectly restored part fails the test. Original and worn (to an extent) is better than restored. To the degree the vehicle remains untouched "as built" is how it's rated. The idea here is not to get one owner to out-do the next, but to reward individuals for maintaining great examples of original Chevrolets.
Okay, I'm done, now back to your local program.

Last edited by oem4me; 08-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Billett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Don't build your truck for shows... build it for your enjoyment. You will be much happier in the end than with some $5 plastic trophy...
Amen. You can buy your own trophies if you want one that bad. I went to a truck show just two weekends ago. They lumped me in with ALL of the full size trucks, not classics since it was a minitrucker show. Still took home first. Build it how you want it so you can enjoy it whether you win or not. I saw people there polishing their trucks every half an hour, meanwhile I did this:

Just goes to show you, no matter how badly you want that trophy there's always gonna be that a$$hole sitting around, drinking beer, and winning. It's just nice that it was me for a change. Sure it was nice to win. No one will ever argue that, but having a good time with friends and fellow enthusiasts I don't get to see often is way more important to me.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Looks like you got the trophy in the truck already....

1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
Billett

you'd think that... that's actually my brother's girlfriend. He's in the chair on the left in the white shirt. First off, that's a huge push up bathing suit. Secondly, she quit her job when they started dating and she hasn't even tried to look for one since. That was four years ago. She constantly tells him that his project car, a '92 240sx, is a "jap p.o.s." and to top it all off she's a bit of a butter face.

Bet you can't tell what I think of her!

No, my fiance is a much better prize than that.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
WALYS60

Alright, heck with it, you’ve convinced me…I don’t care!..lol. Thinking about it, I’ve been to 40-50 car shows, never cared about winning anything then. Thanks all…and Billet…
Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
66clow

Sure is funny where these threads start and end.These threads are pure free entertainment for me. Guess the brother is not a member of this site, hopefully. I had show vw's for years and have a shelf full of dusty trophies and getting ready to move. What the heck am I going to do with them, they are probably going to get broken in transit, then I will have a reason to trash them. I enjoyed getting them but now that I did there done that I don't care about any trophies. The fellowship is where it is at;Look at my truck, not sure if I want to even paint it.

Last edited by 66clow; 08-30-2012 at 06:20 PM.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Chad215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post

Bet you can't tell what I think of her!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
Billett

What can I say. I aim to please lol. No he isn't a member, even on the 240 forums. I do agree though. Reading through threads that have this sort of misdirection in them always make my day. makes me realize I'm still talking to people and not just all knowing magical truck gods. Although I swear there are a few on here...
Posted via Mobile Device
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna