The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Fogline69

Dually wheel issue?

Hi,
Returning board member after finally getting another truck. My "new" '69 C30 has some pretty cracked tires including one that blew out on its maiden voyage. After looking at this board and CL I found a set of 4 Dually wheels that came from a 69. While they were 16 1/2's the PO said they had come from a truck sitting right there. When I got them home, I sat one next to one of my old wheels and noticed the center hole is slightly larger and the lug holes, while lining up, seem much larger as well.

Wondering about next steps. Is there some kind of ring I can put on my hubs to make this work?

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fogline69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

Re: Dually wheel issue?

You probably have a Ford wheel. GM wheels have about a 4 5/8" hub diameter and Ford/Dodge are 4 3/4". Ford used larger wheel studs than Dodge. I have seen people use them but if you are hauling a heavy load, your wheel is neither hub centric or lug centric which means it could move any direction. Chevy did use a ring/plate that did allow you to use tapered nuts instead of flat faced which might make them usable/safer. Not sure what year it started but it was during the next gen trucks, 73+.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Fogline69

Thanks for the information.

I am wondering if they are later generation wheels. They do have tapered holes, but now I found out the rims don't fit over the wheels anyway. Seems I wasted some money here unless someone has another idea? I found out they were on a 72 not a 69 before. Not sure if that makes any difference, but maybe....
Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
WIDESIDE72

I do know that on a 3/4 ton, 72 trucks use a larger lug stud than a 70, as I have a Dana 60 out of a 72 and a 70 Longhorn with a Dana 60 and the studs on the 70 are smaller. I believe someone told me that GM went to larger diameter studs in 71 when they went to disc brakes. I assume al of this info is also true for a 1 ton
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Fogline69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
I do know that on a 3/4 ton, 72 trucks use a larger lug stud than a 70, as I have a Dana 60 out of a 72 and a 70 Longhorn with a Dana 60 and the studs on the 70 are smaller. I believe someone told me that GM went to larger diameter studs in 71 when they went to disc brakes. I assume al of this info is also true for a 1 ton
That is interesting and probably directly applies.

I am wondering with the acorn shape if using the current lugs with acorn nuts would be adequate. Seems like that would work to center the rims if I can find some later ones that will fit over the back wheels. Anyone?