The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
gabe2000

dually cab swap

hey guys, does anybody know if this can be done: i have 81 dually flat bed. I want replace the cab with a 1955 chevy cab only??? if possible, is it difficult? please sent me links. very thx
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: dually cab swap

Your biggest issue is that the 55 frame is almost flat on top from the front crossmember to just before the rear axle. The 81 Frame has an arch over the front suspension that is several inches high and drops down and is somewhat level from the front cab mounts to the kickup over the rear axle. The back part isn't an issue if you are gong to flatbed it.

The front of the frame becomes and issue when you attempt to put the front end sheet metal on. If you are up to many hours of fabbing and fitting and trimming you should be fine but a lot of guys give up on this type of swap because they get in over their head skill wise.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
danheit

Yes it's doable. Just depends on how much fab work you want to put in. I am currently working a 55 cab onto a 90 GMC frame
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
OrrieG

Check how the frame rail width works with the 55 step recess too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
meter swinger

Like the other guys have stated its a lot of work. You end up raising the rear cab mount quite a bit to get the 55 cab to sit right. However it is doable, if you dont plan on lowering the ride hieght. Is the cab a 55 1st seiries or 2nd?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
danheit

With my build, leaving the stock 90 tank in place, I had to raise the cab mount 4.5 inches off the top of the frame. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. I may not be scraping the ground, but even that's still able to be done by channeling the floor for the driveshaft and relocating the fuel tank. All in all, I was going after the lesser of two evils. Either source a new 55 frame, then install a new front clip and fab the steering, or take the late model frame that already had everything attached to it, and build 4 body mounts. It's all in the look and functionability that YOU are going after. I wanted a mild static drop that I could still use to tow a car trailer and have gobbs of power. I got that with the 90 frame, boxing the rear section, hidden hitch, and the truck already had a wildly built 454 EFI and the trans to handle it. I would have loved to keep it pure, but sometimes you just have to make due with what you've got!
(sorry for the tangent...)
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
gabe2000

thx for the reply. I still looking the right cab that wil fit without too much fab. work. I hope is as easy removing 81' cab and installing a oldie one. its a work truck and just want the feeling of the oldie and rugged. if too hard, ill just repaint the truck and keep as is. thx
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote