The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
tripleh

Smile plug at printed circut

On 86 chevy gages, a plug goes into the printed circut with lots of wires. My question is, to build a custom gage pack I will cut the plug off, how do I know which wire goes to what? thks.
tripleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Don SC

Re: plug at printed circut

You need a wiring schematic. Here are two pages from the wiring schematics found on Chris Lucas's website..
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...rument_pg1.jpg
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...rument_pg2.jpg

Last edited by Don SC; 09-08-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added website
Don SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
tripleh

I looked at the wiring schematics, I am not an engineer. I didnt know what I was looking at. Thks
tripleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Don SC

Yeah, a complete book of wiring schematics helps you follow the wiring better, but even using the books you end up going from one page to another. It can be a challenge if you haven't seen them before. The electrical connector is an 18 wire connector. The diagram shows two different connectors- one for trucks with gauges, and one without gauges. You need to go to the website and look in the New Forums, then to the Technnical Pages. On the 2nd page you'll find complete wiring schematics. Find the ones for 81-87 trucks, print out the schematics, then choosing which connector you need, ( gauges), use a colored pencil and follow the wiring to help keep them separate. eventually the wiring will lead to the component they feed, and you'll be on the right track to identifying WHICH wires you're cutting. It will take some time and seem daunting at first. but soon you will grasp the idea and before you know it you'll be this big expert like I am ( you realize I'm just kidding don't you?)
Good luck with it.
Don SC is offline   Reply With Quote