The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
tredens

1958 Chevrolet Apache Fleetside Anniversary Gold Paint Code 331A

I have a 1958 Chevy Fleetside shortbed with the big rear window that has a paint code of 331A. I have checked all the 1958 paint codes and can find nothing concerning any such paint code. The truck is two tone Gold and Off-White. When searching the paint codes the closest color match is Anniversary Gold 918A and Honey Beige 938A. These colors are the GM anniversary codes. The truck is pretty much original but has been painted another shade of gold and white. The truck has cloth door panels and off white and gold arm rest. The firewall and back of truck still have the original paint as well as other areas under the deluxe trim. I know that Chevy used the Anniversary Gold and Honey Beige scheme on the cars and trucks in 1958 but the trucks had SPEC on the paint plate. I suspect that they changed the code from SPEC to 331A but I have know confirmation of this yet. Does any one have any info on this? Thanks, Tom
tredens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 1958 Chevrolet Apache Fleetside Anniversary Gold Paint Code 331A

No specific info, but I think a few years ago there was a thread from a guy that got a 58 that had been repainted but still had the anniversery paint on the interior, firewall and enough places that it turned out to be original. I seem to remember that they also had a special interior and custom cabs too. Stovebolt.com might have more information on it. Or a really deep search here would turn up the old thread.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
tredens

Thanks for the reply. The message you are talking about is what got me into the site to ask concerning my truck. I can't seem find much on it yet. I am going to search hard to find out more about it. I am currently restoring it and am trying to dig up as much as I can. I tried to Carfax it using my VIN but it said I needed more digits in the VIN than I had. The person that posted the original message was from Racine WV. I will keep posting as my search widens. Tom
Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredens View Post
I have a 1958 Chevy Fleetside shortbed with the big rear window that has a paint code of 331A. I have checked all the 1958 paint codes and can find nothing concerning any such paint code. The truck is two tone Gold and Off-White. When searching the paint codes the closest color match is Anniversary Gold 918A and Honey Beige 938A. These colors are the GM anniversary codes. The truck is pretty much original but has been painted another shade of gold and white. The truck has cloth door panels and off white and gold arm rest. The firewall and back of truck still have the original paint as well as other areas under the deluxe trim. I know that Chevy used the Anniversary Gold and Honey Beige scheme on the cars and trucks in 1958 but the trucks had SPEC on the paint plate. I suspect that they changed the code from SPEC to 331A but I have know confirmation of this yet. Does any one have any info on this? Thanks, Tom

From what your saying you have a 58 anniversary custom cab with the optional big window.

I have a GM data book, I'll see if it has that code in it but I think the code is 1958 "Spec" 918A was the car code but it would still be very close.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
tredens

Thanks. I checked with our local Chevy dealer and they don't have codes that go back that far. I also called a local paint supplier and they don't have a code 331A. My only chance for info are people that have access to old material or an old assemby line person. Tom
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
HiRMKin

FYI,I know yours is a 58 but I thought it was worth a shot. I have both 1959 U.S and Canadian salesman data books I knew they had different paint codes for U.S trucks and Canadian trucks but no luck in matching your paint code. I couldn’t remember what the difference was but all Canadian codes are four digits.
HiRMKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
OrrieG

I nosed around the internet and found that it appears the car color codes 918A and 938A were used across the whole GM line for the anniversery models. I found a site that said each dealer only got one, other said any one could special order is but a lot of dealers did not, or would not order it. I found 3 documented anniversery model trucks all had SPEC in the paint code section. I found one site that said painters hated the color because it was much more labor intensive, probably because it required a special base coat and the metallic was a pain to get even. I did not find any GM literature on it.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
tredens

I really do appreciate your input and I will keep digging until I find something. There has to be some record out there somewhere. Thanks aqain, Tom
Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
OrrieG

Somewhere someone has an old dealer brochure with all the info you need, just like all the old stuff I have found in my dads files, chests and boxes. Someone just needs to unearth it and share.

I just had a thought. Canada GM seems to have kept a lot more info on these, maybe they might have the information? I also wonder if the anniversery paint was an option in GM off shore operations like AUm South Africa and South America? Or maybe the Corvette guys might have info in their registry??
Old 09-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
tredens

I just took a look your thread it looks like a serious build is in progress. I would like to post some pics but I am unsure as to the process. Do you go through URL host? I sell things on Ebay and used to use CuteFTP but that was years ago nd now they charge subscription fee. Ebay has made it simple. Anyway thanks, Tom
Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredens View Post
I just took a look your thread it looks like a serious build is in progress. I would like to post some pics but I am unsure as to the process. Do you go through URL host? I sell things on Ebay and used to use CuteFTP but that was years ago nd now they charge subscription fee. Ebay has made it simple. Anyway thanks, Tom
Go to Advanced Reply> Manage Attachments. A box will pop up. The top allows you to search your computer for up to 5 photos at a time. Click Browse, then upload. the site will either resize of tell you they are too big. When they are loaded close the window. Do a preview most (next to submit reply) to make sure they look like you want. I have not used them but I think there are options for loading from other sites or using a url in the same manage attachments.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
tredens

Here are some pics they show the difference in the original and current color of my truck. The VIN is 3A58 B114756 which means it is a 3100 and was made at the Baltimore plant. I am still digging and will keep you all informed of my progress.
Attached Images