The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
cayce_brunswick-

Question Will it work

My truck has 4 wheel drum breaks. I ended up with a power booster and master cylinder, I installed that along with a new distribution block, all new lines front to back and new wheel cylinders, drums and all new hardware. Ive never been much for direction so I did not bench bleed the master cylinder.

I drilled a hole in a 3/8 piece of steel tapped it out and put in a quick connect for my air compressor. I put the sheet of steel on top of my master using card board as a gasket and held it in place with 2 large c-clamps. I want to pump my system up to say 15 lb to help bleed my lines. It's just me and no help. Using the compressor to push the air through the system. Does anyone see a problem with this? Will it work? Any better ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
cayce_brunswick- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
69GWC

Re: Will it work

Seems like to me it will do what you want but will or just put more air in the system or if it will just push the fluid through.

I bought a tool at my local autoparts store that allows me to do them by myself, it basicly sucks the fluid out of the bleeders.
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

I have what they call a pressure bleeder. It is a canister filled with brake fluid with a hose going to a lid that fits the master cylinder. Then I connect a air line to the canister and set the air pressure to 10 to 15 lbs. Then I go to each bleeder and open until solid fluid comes out. At the same time the fluid in the canister is refilling the mastercylinder. The canister is about a one gallon size. Works great and can be done in about 30 to 45 minutes..

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
SS Tim

Don't, The air should not come in contact with the fluid. Pressure bleeders use a tank divided with a bladder. Fill the tank with fluid that collapses the bladder or diaphragm then it is pressurized with air forcing fluid out. If you ever had a cheap adapter or a master cylinder reservoir pop you would run away from those clamps. If you "MUST" try this get rid of the soluble cardboard and cover the entire top of the master cylinder with say a sheet of rubber to act as a bladder after you have filled it ot overflowing, Then cap it and try 5 psi and see.
Better choices are "speed bleeders" at each wheel cylinder that have sprung check balls, they work great. A vacuum bleeder like a Vacuula or even a hand vacuum pump are other choices. Four mason jars and gravity bleed works too.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote