The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
FirstOwner69

Re: Tell your "How I got my truck story"

About 1963, when I was in high school, I saw my first camper mounted on a Chevy truck in northern Wisconsin. I immediately decided that I would eventually own a rig like that. My new bride and I moved to southern California in 1968 for our first jobs. In Oct., 1969, we decided to drive to southern Utah because I'd seen an article in one of the major outdoor magazines about the great hunting. We drove up and slept in our car in the snowy mountains out of Beaver, UT, and froze. It was the weekend prior to their deer hunting season, and on the way home we met many Californians heading north in their campers to hunt. We stopped to look at campers Sunday night before we even got home. We found our truck, a new left over 1969 CST-20 with buckets and A/C a few weeks later sitting on the lot at Barton's Chevrolet in Yorba Linda, CA, and a camper in Santa Ana. We cut deals on both, picked up the truck Nov. 20 and picked up the camper on the 21st. About a week later we were camping in the mountains near San Bernardino. We've owned almost 40 vehicles since including trucks, SUVs, ordinary passenger cars and Corvettes. I almost sold the 69 in about 1981 for $1200 until the buyer told me how he would be beating the crap out of it. It was stored with 118,173 miles since the mid-eighties until 2010 when I finally started a frame-off restoration. The old camper still sits in storage about 100' from the truck.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote