The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
chevyrestoguy

Re: Fuel Tank Opinions...

That's great info, and that's just the stuff I need to know while I'm brainstorming this idea. I will take all of your info into consideration before I commit to anything.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 10-15-2012 at 08:45 AM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Fuel Tank Opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Underbed, tig welded aluminum 16gal fuel cell with tank foam, filler neck hidden under false bed board.

Hey, I like your hidden fill neck--great idea and job!
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
dracko

Hey Rustbucket. I like that idea, what did you use the saddle tanks from? There isn't much room between my tire and fender though. Not sure how it'd be getting the gas handle in there.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
bj383ss

Rustbucket. The setup you described is what my dad's 72' had when he got it from my Grandpa. Two saddle tanks with the fillers pointing 45* toward the rear. Plus he had the seat tank as well. He used it to haul his camper to bluegrass festivals and needed alot of gas. My dad took them off because they were rusting out. They were a homemade job out of plate steal. They hung down about an 1 1/2" below the body. And he didnt have gauges for the saddle tanks so you had to switch over before it ran out of gas or else.

Bret
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
rustbucket66

My old tanks were originally a set of those saddle tanks that were fairly popular way back when. They used to cut a hole (ugh) in the boxside to access the filler neck, and put an aluminum door over it, that had a key lock on it. Lots of trucks up here had it, right up to 72, because of the limited capacity of the seat tank. I had the filler neck moved to the rear when they were new. The filler neck goes on the rear of the tank at about a 45, also it tilts outward a bit towards the wheel opening. Next time you are at the gas station, just point the handle into the opening, facing forward, and you will see how little room it takes, and where your filler neck should come out at. It takes a custom made tank, especially as far as installing the filler, but the dimensions of the tank are fairly straight forward to measure. There is a lot of fresh air in that space, and to put the fuel tank(s) there makes good use of that space. With the filler neck and cap being in the area I described, there are no filler caps or boards to flip up in the box floor, no gas tank doors or caps in the body, nothing. Very clean, you don't see the tanks, or the filler cap. Frees up a spot for your spare tire in the rear also. I'd like to have a coffee with the guy that cut all the holes in the boxsides of all those trucks way back when to install those saddle tanks, jeez.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
1972RedNeck

Personally I'd go with both.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote