The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
62lwbc10

Replacing the vent window weatherstrip

Hey guys is replacing the vent window weatherstripping difficult? I dont know why im intimidated by this, maybe its the rivets. I see CLassic Parts has the entire vertical window assembly including the vent window and weatherstripping as one unit. Kinda pricey, but maybe worth it.

http://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-...info/18-292L/#

Let me know if its a big deal to deal with the weatherstripping. Mine is original, hard as a rock, and the vent windows are flopping around like dogs ears. Need to do something about it...

Thanks,
Mark
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
parkwood

Re: Replacing the vent window weatherstrip

Mark it not as hard as it looks, just take one a part at a time. and you will have to put a rivet back it where you have to drill out the stock rivet.. took some off a '51 and had them power coated and then rebuilt them and they came out like new...
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Daze57

i have done several of these -parkwood is right about the rivits - you can buy the rivits and the tool from truck parts suppliers - after you get the rock hard rubber out and all the rivits redone - use soapywater on the new rubber - should slip right in

good luck
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
62lwbc10

Thanks for the tips guys. Regarding drilling out the old rivets, what size drill bits to use? I assume I have to be careful with this step as if I use too large a bit, the new rivets will have too much slop and I will have a real mess on my hands.
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkwood View Post
Mark, it's not as hard as it looks, just take one a part at a time. You will have to put a rivet back where you have to drill out the stock rivet. I took some off a '51 and had them powder coated and then rebuilt them and they came out like new...
Mind if I ask what powder coating a pair ran you? I wouldn't have thought of doing that but it is a great idea. Did you powder coat them black? Chrome? or Other?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Mind if I ask what powder coating a pair ran you? I wouldn't have thought of doing that but it is a great idea. Did you powder coat them black? Chrome? or Other?
Dan i don't know what it cost to power coat them as i had a ton of stuff done at the same time.. but i don't think it would be that much and it holds up much better than paint.. i had them done in semi gloss black..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
Daze57

i believe the last pair i did ran $120 for the pair - i also had them blasted clean and also went w/ the semi gloss black .

yo 62 i believe i used a 1/8 inch drill bit - use a new bit and take your time .

good luck
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote