The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2003, 04:59 AM   #1
OG lil E

Question Kinda New Guy With Questions---

Hello all!
I've been registered here for a few months and I've been lurking, reading and learning alot about these great trucks we are all crazy about. From what I've seen, this is a very knowledgeable group and I'm happy to be a member.

I've had lot of questions, but the subject of my question always seems to come up and get answered so I've never posted before. I have a new question that I haven't seen before and wonder if anyone knows the answer. I have a '79 longbed. It has the 250 6 with an automatic. It's a pretty basic truck, but it runs great and I really like it. Future plans call for lowering (spindles, coils, four link and airbags) shaving everything, lots of louvers and kustom body mods. It will be a long road, but I'm having fun. The truck is fairly clean. It has been hit in the front, and passenger door, but I've collected the parts to get it straight and the transformation will begin soon. I want to lower it soon, but my front suspension is going to be a problem. Everything is rusty. REAL rusty. The A-arms are crumbling away and the brackets that hold the a-arms to the frame are so rusty that an alignment is out of the question. The bolts are too rusty to loosen, but the frame is solid so it should be ok. It will all have to be hot wrenched and replaced. I've been trying to buy everything from a junkyard, but they give me grief about cutting the frame off at the firewall and selling me everything complete. It would be easier to buy the whole thing together, and then disassemble it at work with air tools. Beats laying on the ground at the junkyard with hand tools, right? Anyway, I ran into a guy tonight that it parting out an '82. It is pretty much gone, no motor, trans, fenders, hood and doors. The cab is just a shell, and the bed is still on it. When I told him about my front end, he said he'd make me a great deal on what he had. He said he'd cut the frame off at the firewall and sell me the whole thing complete for a great price. It all sounds good except for one thing--it is a 3/4 ton two wheel drive and mine is a 1/2 ton two wheel. Will the A-arms and stuff work? I understand that the rotors are bigger and 8-lug, but are the A-arms the same? How about the tie-rods and stuff? My luck it won't work, but I had to ask. If it will, I can get everything for a song. Thanks for any help! Layta Ed
OG lil E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

sorry charlie different part numbers

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
Blue Beard

Sounds like a good project and a lot of good ideas coming down the road.

Keep us posted, and pics if possible......

Good luck...........
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote