The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
bnoon

Got another score in the salvage yard

I pulled some used pipes from a true dual system I found on a truck I had seen previously in the local Wrench-n-Go salvage yard. I had gone for them before but broke a socket on the LAST STUPID COLLECTOR BOLT! This time I brought a 6 point deep 14mm impact style socket, and guess what happens?!?!?! I broke the ratchet wrench! I've never seen a little exhaust stud stand up to the type of torque I had to give it, let alone break two tools before maybe breaking the stud itself! But this one did not break! Luckily I had another ratchet with me and finally got it to pop loose. And of course once it did break loose it came right off as if nothing was ever wrong... oh well. At least I didn't have to make another trip.

Since the guy had told me (over the phone) that the mufflers were good and they ended up having rust holes in them, I got them to mark down the pipes and left the mufflers there. Usually would have ran about $52 for the 4 pipes (two head/lead pipes and two tailpipes) they marked it down to $39 total. I can also bring back my stock single exhaust for core charges if I want but will probably take that to the recycler myself and get more cash.

So when I got home I ordered two of Summit Racing's two chamber mufflers (same thing as Flowmaster style) for $29 each, free shipping coupon plus 20 Summit Bucks as credit for a previous order that they messed up. All told, $77 out of pocket for true duals. 20 minutes later, I got the shipping notification from Summit, LOL! Dang they're fast! I'll get pics when I get the mufflers and get it on.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
JRANGER

Re: Got another score in the salvage yard

Sweet....I need to start looking at exhaust at pull a part never even though about that....GJ
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
Sweet....I need to start looking at exhaust at pull a part never even though about that....GJ
Yeah I saw the pipes and have just been letting it sit in my head thinking about it, then I couldn't even remember if it was a long bed or not (no big deal if it wasn't, would just have to lengthen the pipes a few inches if not) but it was. So glad I went back to see... Recycling the original cat will give me more cash than I spent on the true duals setup! Dropping it off as soon as i swap it out! I can also recycle some engine blocks at the same time that I've had sitting around for 15 years too LOL!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
towmater

here on my neck of the woods 6 out of ten trucks that lands at the junkyards always have flowmasters, i scored a pair of almost new flowmaster 50 series delta flows in 3 inch inlet and outlet. Got them for 22 each!!!
towmater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by towmater View Post
here on my neck of the woods 6 out of ten trucks that lands at the junkyards always have flowmasters, i scored a pair of almost new flowmaster 50 series delta flows in 3 inch inlet and outlet. Got them for 22 each!!!
Around here it's nearly every Mustang that has flows on it. The trucks all seem to go with the cheaper turbo mufflers (what this one in the yard had) or glasspacks.