The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
sgtvanmp

Mikes in memory of build

Hey all, I have been wanting to start a build for a long while. I picked up a 1976 C10 from my wifes step dad. Its a long bed with the original 350/350 combo. I wanted to start this project in memory of my grand dad. He had an old Chevy C20 when I was a kid and we had planned on building it togeather. He died of Cancer and I never got the chance. I am building this truck in memory of Him, Gene McArther.

I have been wrenching on it for a few months now. So far I have done the following: Put in a windshield, took off the old rusted out muffler and bolted on a cherry bomb, Just put a water pump in it two weeks ago, did I mention I put a radiator in the weekend before that. Yeah, not happy to have to redo that. I habe put in newer plugs, cap and rotor, and just yesterday I did a tranny pan seal and fluid change. Let me know if you have any suggestion on where to go next. I am looking at doing an intake and carb swap. I also want to do headers at some point. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by sgtvanmp; 11-08-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Needed to give you all a bit more on why this is so important
sgtvanmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Mikes in memory of build

touching story my friend. glad to see you keeping memories alive. one thing i would do is put the trim back on. those trucks just look sweet with all of the trim. how is the interior in it? there's a vendor on here, his name is Stitch, that does great work at reasonable prices. what are your plans on color, wheels, are you going to lower it? keep us posted on your choices and decisions. good luck on the rest of the build. im sure your grandad is smiling right now.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
sgtvanmp

Smile Re: Mikes in memory of build

Thanks nbpro. The interior is in need of some help too. It still has the original am radio. The see is in need of being recovered. I have an old set cover on it for now. It is a slow process. My main goal for now is to get the running gear working well, then start on the beautification proccess.

I am planning on taking a bed from a newer model with the gas cap door, and I need to replace both fenders and the hood. Once all this is done, I have been considering painting it the original gold color. Not sure on it yet though.

Thanks again. I am going to try and have some more pics up soon.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
sgtvanmp

So, I have been doing some thinking. I really want to get to work on the carb and intake transfermation. Anyone have any Ideas on what I should go with. I want to get a bit more performance and still have some gas left in the tank. I was thinking of going with a Edelbrock 600 carb and a Performer intake. Give me some ideas.

What about exhuast? I NEED to get some headers on this baby. Let her breath better. Some ideas here would be appreciated as well.

Please consider that I am in the service and on a very tight budget. I am the type that loves to get good used parts. I hope you can understand that one.

Thanks for taking a look. I will have pick up soon.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
355bullet

nice truck, dig that green!
is it a 2 or 4barrel?
If your on a budget just get the carb rebuilt.
call R&L performance, 915-858-5232. Ruben Lopez
have him look at it
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
nbpro
Account Suspended

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/pts/ for some used parts
do so reading on exhaust velocity for your exhuast for better understanding. may help you make the correct decision. this all could depend on your emission requirements in your area. along with the new carb. there's a section on here about how to properly tune our engines. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=290498

Last edited by nbpro; 11-12-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
sgtvanmp

355 Bullet,

Thanks for the heads up. The carb is good right now. I did a few things this weekend to the trucka and after some very hard consideration, I think that putting money into the engine to dress it up needs to be put on the back burner.

I need to work on things that will make it stay on the road and let me see my work. The truck runs well right now, so I do not have to put money into the carb and intake, its a would like to have. I do need to look at getting some new tires, work on the suspension some. Once these things are done, Then I will be making my list of wants and see what comes up first. I will keep this build thread going and would love to have any ideas.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
sgtvanmp

Well,
I got some work done today, no pics, but work. I will take pics in the morning and let you see and you can tell me what you think. Here is what I have worked on this weekend.

Turkey day was good to me, I got a new stereo for the truck and the misses was cool enough to let me take time away from the family to put it in. Great lady. I found some speaker holders from an early 80's C10 at the local U pull and was able to mount some 6 1/2 in them. Took a bit of work but they look alright. I had one heck of a time getting the radio in. she is in but not so pretty just yet. Again, I will show you tomorrow. I am not to conserned on the look of the instrament cover, I have another one I am working on cleaning up, so it will do for now. I plan to do up a better suppor system for the radio before it is all said and done.

So with tunes in, I went to work on the exterior, I decided to paint the stock and boring white wheels a nice gloss black to change things up. Let me tell, two bucks at Wally World did a great job changing up my truck. I love this look. While I was in the painting mood, I cleaned up the bumper a bit too. I did not get a picture of the before, but wait till you see the after. Not bad.

I am thinking of masking off the truck and doing a rattle can job over the white with gloss black. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for taking a look. I will post pics tomorrow so please check back and give me some feed back.

Mike
Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
sgtvanmp

So,
Here are the pics I promised. Let me know what you think of the black on the wheels.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
nbpro
Account Suspended

looking good
Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
sgtvanmp

Talking Re: Mikes in memory of build

Got to go to the toy store (local U Pull) today, picked up some cool stuff. I scored an Edlebrock Performer for $16, an alternator bracket for $3 and i got a vent piece for $3.

I went to my other to toy store (Autozone) and picked up a carb rebuild kit. I am going to try my hand at rebuilding my Rochester. Let me know if you have any pointers for me.

I will try to get some pics up tomorrow. Does anyone know if a stock Rochest 4 brl bolt up to the Edelbrock Performer without an adaptor plate? Please let me know.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
nbpro
Account Suspended

Spacers can be used to move your power band around. If you raise your carb up it acts like a higher rise manifold. An open spacer will give a boost to the mid to higher range power. The 4 hole spacer will work more with the low to mid range. but the typical Qjet-to-square bore adapter is convoluted and a flow restriction, in my opinion

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_..._spacers.shtml
Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
sgtvanmp

I got some news: I put some great stuff on this past weekend.

I finally got the intake and the carb on. Had a bit of an issue wit it for a while. I some how crossed the 1 and 3 plug wire. Man was that thing back firing. I did not have a timing light so I had to adjust it by ear. I thought that is what was causing my problems. Turns out I got the timing just right, once the spark plug wire issue was figured out, it ran like a champ. Still have some other things to do, but it gets down the road now with out sputtering or complaining.

I will get more pics up soon.

Thanks for taking a look.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
sgtvanmp

Well, Merry Christmas. Here are some pictures of the work I have done. Sorry it has taken so long to get them up. I am looking to get some new wires, and plugs. After putting on the new carb, I have been having a bit of a miss. Let me know you have any suggestions for trying to get this fixed. I have set the timing at 12. I had it at 8 and that still gave me the miss.

I am looking to find some original wheels with the beautiy ring. I just really like the way it looks. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
sgtvanmp

Went to the toy store ( Local U Pull) again Monday. Found some cool stuff. I picked up some beauty rings for $8 a spare rim in great shape just needing some paint and a spare tire both for 20 bucks. I'll get a few pics tomorrow and put them up.

I still need to work out the bugs in the carb. I am going to try it tomorrow. I have done a bit of research and am going to give it a go at adjusting the carb and see if that will help with the poor gas and the stutter I get when first taking off. If anyone has any Ideas on this, I would greatly appreciate them.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
sgtvanmp

Well, I decided to post a couple new pics. Today is cold as can be outside. It snowed here!!! Now for you up north, thats no big deal, but here, that does not happen very often.

Enough with the on to the pics.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #17
mooseknuckles

I'm thinking of buying an Edelbrock carb but not to sure, everyone seems to have negative opinions about them, and my quad needs a rebuild.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #18
mooseknuckles

Ok, so this is what I used to do my dash, 3M fiberglass resin, and fiberglass cloth. The last pic is of the fiberglass mat, which I recommend not using as you can see the difference in textures. It takes alot more work to smoothen it out. hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
russgt

sgtvanmp: that engine looks great with the manifold swap! Keep up the good work.

mooseknuckles: Edelbrock carbs aren't bad. They are a great all around carb for stock to mild combinations that are daily driven, but usually holley guys dont like them because they are not as easily tuned like a holley. Some people also love quadrajets and dislike everything else, its just a matter of preference/ looks.
20 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
mooseknuckles

ya the holley's good if your racin, but not practical for the street....well daily driver. I have nothin against quadrojet's either, but mine is leaking and the choke is done, but I hear good and bad things about the Edelbrock's. I guess they all have their good and bad pionts! i guess I'll just have to try one for myself.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #21
85chevy4x4

sorry to hear about your loss sounds like you had a very cool grandpa the engine is looking great and keep p the pics i think this will be an cool build!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #22
sgtvanmp

Hey guys,

I have been trying to identify a problem with the truck. Here is what I had come up and maybe you can give me a clue what might have caused it.

I ran the truck to just under a quarter tank. I started having problems keeping it running. Horrible idle and just ran rough. I put some gas in it thinking it was just to low. That did not help. I ended up putting new wires on, put heet in the tank, and filled it up the rest of the way. It will run fine some days and then on others it runs rought. I am not sure that the deal is.

Let me know what you think.

'76 C10 350/350 Edelbrock Performer carb/intake

Link to my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post4377162
Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #23
LedSled71

Fuel filter?
LedSled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #24
sgtvanmp

I am on my third one in 3 months. This one is clear so I can see when it gets clogged.

'76 C10 350/350 Edelbrock Performer carb/intake

Link to my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post4377162
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #25
budget78gmc

any updates my friend

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=440536
budget78gmc is offline   Reply With Quote