The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Removal of the plug in the Water Pump on BB???

Got the BB fired up and running on her on free will! Gas in the tank and good battery and some adjustments on the carb and BAM! she drove around the farm, no bed and no drivers side door! LMAO

Then I noticed the heater core return line was not hooked to the motor at all! The P.O. stuffed a capped chrome lugnut in the end of the heater hose and put a hose clamp on it... (I swear I heard banjo's playing when I saw this!)

I tried to remove the plug in the water pump to put the correct fitting in and make it the way it is supposed to be but I cant get the thing to turn it is almost as if someone has welded the plug in. Does anyone know any tricks to getting this thing out???
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Lee H

Re: Removal of the plug in the Water Pump on BB???

After those thing have been in there for a while they are nearly impossible to get out with out some heat. You'll need a breaker bar for sure. Does your radiator have an outlet you can use?

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
After those thing have been in there for a while they are nearly impossible to get out with out some heat. You'll need a breaker bar for sure. Does your radiator have an outlet you can use?
No that was the first thing I looked for and it doesnt! It appears that the PO tried to use some vice grips or something on it and chewed up the square head of the plug a little bit. Not too bad, but enough to upset you when you are working on trying to get it out. Do you think if I hit it with my torch, just to heat it up that it might free it up a little bit? Or will I damage the water pump in the process?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Lee H

If you want it out, and don't mind buying a reman if it gets ruined you have nothing to lose. Keep the heat on the plug, get it nice and hot, hit it with some penetrant and give it hell.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
If you want it out, and don't mind buying a reman if it gets ruined you have nothing to lose. Keep the heat on the plug, get it nice and hot, hit it with some penetrant and give it hell.
Thats kind of where I am... Not wanting to buy a reman, but if I cant get it out or damage it then I will... I will give it a shot today and see what happens, pics and progress later tonight! LMAO
Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Lee H

I'll have a cold one on stand by ready to pop, good luck!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
I'll have a cold one on stand by ready to pop, good luck!
Ive got several on standby already in the workshop refridgerator! LOL