The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

CRAP! Need core support help.

Decided to change my core support bushings since I had everything already disassembled. I went to poly cab mounts a while back and I still had the core support bushings sitting around. Well, unbolted everything and was able to squeeze the core support up to allow room to remove the old bushings and put the new ones in (pic one). After the new bushings were in I tried to line up the bolts on the fender w/ the core support and I for the life of me cannot get them to line up at all. I got one side once, but the other side was so off I figured that I needed to get all of the bolts started before tightening down. I don't know but I'm pissed because I can't get it to work and I spent over 3 hours messing with it. The top of the core support is also scraping the bottom lip of the fenders at the top so I got a constant SCREEECH everytime I messed with it. I really need help on how to fix this or what to do because I can't figure it out myself.............
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: CRAP! Need core support help.

pics didn't load

Last pic is of how high it wants to be to line up with the fender. I'm stumped.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
frog210

are they the right bushings for your front end?
it looks like the passenger side is bent up more then the drivers side

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
THE "10" SILVERADO

Should be the right bushings.

Another question guys would this work? Line up the bolts on one side without the bushing in, use a jack and take pressure off the CS, pull other bushing out, put those bolts in and jack up the whole front end and lower onto new bushings? I'm just worried I'll tweak and bend something if I do it that way.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
frog210

for your second question if you jack it up you might end up twisting, the front at an angle and causing it to no close, line up right.

To the bushing i was referring to i don't know if you've done a core support swap to go to a earlier or later front end, have you put your new bushings next to your old ones and compared them?

*** maybe its just me but on the core support picture, the last picture it looks really bent up, or pushed up, you dont have like a 6 inch level and set it up on your core supports to see if ones crooked or not...

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog210 View Post
for your second question if you jack it up you might end up twisting, the front at an angle and causing it to no close, line up right.

To the bushing i was referring to i don't know if you've done a core support swap to go to a earlier or later front end, have you put your new bushings next to your old ones and compared them?
I didn't swap front ends, just decided to replace old crusty rubber ones. They look about the same size. The only difference is the compression (the poly don't compress). I'm really at a loss about how to go about fixing this. Would lifting the cab raise the fenders up enough?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
frog210

heres a link i found, so your replace all your cab supports?
http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/11...l/viewall.html
im also upload a few pics of when i swapped my core support from a 74 to and 82 might help do
you could probably lift the cab a lil but you would have to adjust everything one the cab and fenders part
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog210 View Post
heres a link i found, so your replace all your cab supports?
http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/11...l/viewall.html
im also upload a few pics of when i swapped my core support from a 74 to and 82 might help do
you could probably lift the cab a lil but you would have to adjust everything one the cab and fenders part
THANKS!!!! This pic just answered that question. Here's the plan. The pass side bushing is out and the thing is just sitting there (but the holes line up). I'll bolt it together without the bushing, pull the bushing off the driver side and bolt it together and then lift the front up together just enough to slide the bushings in. All of this frustration is over about 1 inch of travel...
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
frog210

its all ways comes down to an inch lol
glad i could help

Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
THE "10" SILVERADO

I feel so stupid that I wasted 3 hours trying to line the holes up,

Spent 15 minutes putting it back together and 5 minutes jacking it up, placing bushings and lowering it.

....at least it's done now!
Attached Images