The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question U know

U know how you decide to do a little truck project and it turns into a long drawn out project.
That's what my front S/S brake line job is turning into. I started last week, put the front on jack stands and pulled both front wheels. Look at the brakes and say huh... what I have and what i ordered didn't match. So get on the phone to the guy and he says just ship them back and he would ship me new. OK great. My 71 has 72 calipors on it.
Ok today I decide and go ahead and take the lines loose. Well I broke my 7/16" tube wrench that I bought yesterday. Cheap o from O-reilly's. Had to use vise grips to break it loose. That was the drivers side passenger side was a little better I used a regular wrench on it and it broke loose.
So my question:
How hard is it to take the drivers side line loose form the tee and get it off the truck so I can get the fitting fixed. I guess it will need new line as well.
It looks like one clamp under the motor mount is holding it in place.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: U know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
U know how you decide to do a little truck project and it turns into a long drawn out project.
That's what my front S/S brake line job is turning into. I started last week, put the front on jack stands and pulled both front wheels. Look at the brakes and say huh... what I have and what i ordered didn't match. So get on the phone to the guy and he says just ship them back and he would ship me new. OK great. My 71 has 72 calipors on it.
Ok today I decide and go ahead and take the lines loose. Well I broke my 7/16" tube wrench that I bought yesterday. Cheap o from O-reilly's. Had to use vise grips to break it loose. That was the drivers side passenger side was a little better I used a regular wrench on it and it broke loose.
So my question:
How hard is it to take the drivers side line loose form the tee and get it off the truck so I can get the fitting fixed. I guess it will need new line as well.
It looks like one clamp under the motor mount is holding it in place.
I don't know how things in SC are for rust but being brought up wrenching on MN cars I've dealt with my share of rusted brake line fittings.

If you plan to replace the hard brake line the best thing to do is CUT the hard line close enough to the fitting to get a 6-point socket on it. Then try with the socket. DON'T GET TOO CARRIED AWAY WITH IT AT THIS POINT! If it still won't come off get out a propane torch and heat it up. MOST of the time you can re-use the fitting if it is in good shape. The replacement line at the auto parts store doesn't always have the right fittings attached to it.

Since you are going through all this to fix that one fitting, if the replacement line doesn't have the correct fitting I have found a good selection of the correct fittings at NAPA.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

I got both sides off plus when I took the wrenches back awhile ago I pickup 2 bleeder's also. The passenger side looks OK. I just think I need to replace the driver side from the tee block over to the flex connection. I can take the hose and new hoses with me to make sure the fittings are right.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I've pretty much given up on anything coming apart easily and warm it up with a torch is the first step. I've rounded off and broken a lot less tools and parts since I started doing this.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Angry Re: U know

Here I am still sitting and waiting on hoses. This sucks!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club