The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
midniteblues

intresting finds

I was at the yard the other day and saw this stuff

first pic is of a 67 c30 6cly is that really a crank pulley?never seen anything like that. I know a v belt will track straight if its built right but THERES NO GROOVE what keeps the belt on

second and third pic is of the same truck.it has this fuel filter its on a big
68 c 60 are these desireable? are the filter elements still available?

third pic is the same truck is this a york compressor?are these desireable also? its mounted on a bb is that setup differnt from a sb?
I couldnt find any Identifaction on or info about the bb engine is there a way too tell a td 366-427 visually i was told to look at the wp ear if it touches the head gasket its a standard deck if its a 1/4" away its td this one is a 1/4" away

also there was a 72 6500 that has a 351 v-6 in it are there any parts worth while pulling? it is complete.
If I'm not mistaken it has a big truck five speed behind it if it helps

thanks for any info I recieve I would like to salvage anything possible from these trucks as they are drying up quick around here and they usually dont stick around long in the yards so if anybody has any thoughts or common knowledge as too whats too grab off these bigger trucks please share sorry for the story
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
MusicMan70

Re: intresting finds

As far as the fuel canister is concerned, the elements are available. Desireable; not sure that's the word, but I would get it.

GMC V-6; look for the Spin-on oil filter assembly that bolts to the block and any power steering brackets, double groove pulleys and check to see if the carb bolts are rectangular pattern or trapezoidal. If trapezoidal that would be a magnum engine and more rare.
How about pics of the V-6?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

That is an air compressor for brakes in the last photo. It would be great to air up tires with on a C/K 10-30, but would probably not clear the hood.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Interesting... I dont see no clutch on the compressor's pulley, I wonder if it has a bypass/pressure relieve valve since it would be working all the time...
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
Littletony

Does it have a green steering wheel?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" ..............Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Littletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletony View Post
Does it have a green steering wheel?
all the wheels were the big truck varity that looks like 67-68's only bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
As far as the fuel canister is concerned, the elements are available. Desireable; not sure that's the word, but I would get it.

I thought I would when i was there but tose lil' bolts were super tite and I didnt have the tools and enough time that day.

GMC V-6; look for the Spin-on oil filter assembly that bolts to the block and any power steering brackets, double groove pulleys and check to see if the carb bolts are rectangular pattern or trapezoidal. If trapezoidal that would be a magnum engine and more rare.
How about pics of the V-6?
there was no power steering that i recall I'll be going back early this week for more peices and better prepared this is why I'm asking these questions
I wouldnt mind getting the whole v 6 but I dont need it and its not worth my time too me but I know theres alot of intrest for these and I wouldnt mind pulling some parts. I( ran outa time there and didnt get pic of that one but will next time
Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
wpvtx

As for the pulley set up - it a old style pulley/belt set up with a new style harmonic balancer, the original balancer is much thinner and would have a flat pulley that would allow the belt to ride in the pulley. Maybe a newer style engine with old w/p and alt brackets. Some one was desperate and could not change it over - or did not know the dif.

W.

It also looks like a flat belt is being ran on the v belt pulleys for the w/p and alt. Kind of scary sence of reliability.
Front disk brakes
Electric fan/Internal regulated Alt.
wpvtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Interesting... I dont see no clutch on the compressor's pulley, I wonder if it has a bypass/pressure relieve valve since it would be working all the time...
Exactly. Have you ever been by a semi or bus and hear a short blast of air? That is the pressure relief. Basically air brakes are locked until you litany to them so the compressor has to run all the time. (I learned all about air brakes when I had to get a cdl for work a few hrs ago)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Exactly. Have you ever been by a semi or bus and hear a short blast of air? That is the pressure relief. Basically air brakes are locked until you put air to them so the compressor has to run all the time. (I learned all about air brakes when I had to get a cdl for work a few yrs ago)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 12-02-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
BHyatt

That short blast of air that you hear from a truck with an air brake system allows moisture to be expelled from the system.
BHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHyatt View Post
That short blast of air that you hear from a truck with an air brake system allows moisture to be expelled from the system.
Not really. The tanks have to be drained after every day's use. I was surprised about the amount of water that comes out. I asked out maintenance shop about it. They said it was normal. We share a bucket truck and some of the other guys here don't drain the tank after they use them. That makes for even more water in the system whn it sits over night. They pretty well give themselves away when you look at the drivers log and they were the last to drive it and the air system still bass 70-100 psi on the gauge! Doesn't matter though since our management does nothing about this (and other worse things).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Exactly. Have you ever been by a semi or bus and hear a short blast of air? That is the pressure relief. Basically air brakes are locked until you litany to them so the compressor has to run all the time. (I learned all about air brakes when I had to get a cdl for work a few yrs ago)
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHyatt View Post
Im not a commercial truck mechanic, but think both of you guys are right.
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
hugger6933

Iwas a diesel tech in another life, many years ago before going into the bodyshop/car business. yes both are right as there will be a short belch of air once it hits the regulator[reffered to as a t2 if I remember] and also there will be a drain that is atuomated now on some newr model but of course the older stuff has a drain valve on the bottom of the tank. Some truck if you look close at or by the air tanks they will have a cable tied up to the side there and it is hooked into a spring loaded drain on the bottom so you just give it a tug and it drains and then spring pressure closes it back after it completes its draining cycle. I did'nt last too long in the diesel biz, I got to where I could'nt stand the smell on my hands. I allso got trapped under a Mack truck changing the clutch when the triangular shaped trans rolled on the jack over onto my arms and pinned me underneath the truck for about 6 hours while I waited. I could not move both arms pinned not in excessive pain but none the less still unable to move. My now departed brother came along and got me out and thet was the beginning of the end of me and my diesel work closing shop, It is still to this day called M&M Diesel cause it was easier to keep the tax numbers than change them.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
BHyatt

I drive a truck every day for a living and on the one that I drive that is why you will hear that sound. The bucket truck you operate may not have an automatic air dryer as it may have been an option that the purchaser chose not to purchase. My truck gets driven over 700 miles a day six days a week between myself and the day shift driver and we are never required to do any additional draining of the system. The compressor has a governor that determines when it needs to produce more pressure. The compressor on a large tractor is not continuously feeding pressure into the system at all times. On a commercial truck the FMCSA (571.121 s5.1.1.1) requires that the compressor kicks in at 100psi (85psi for buses). I know that at one time not all trucks were equipped with governors on the compressor or automatic air dryers so on those vehicles things would be different. My experience is primarily with Class A tractor trailers from what I operate now to a few years back when I ran 3600 miles a week over the road. Not all equipment is created equal.

Cannot blame you for that Hugger. My cousin lost his life in a diesel shop. He had a Tractor-Trailer come in with a damaged wheel and tire. He repaired the wheel and installed a new tire. He then returned to the install the tire onto the jacked up suspension. He used a large pry-bar to lift the tire up onto the lugs and it exploded hitting him in the face and taking most of his head off. I have since had tires replaced in shops and watched mechanics begin to fill tires without the use of a cage and I am always sure to tell them that story. Some people have no idea when they are playing with fire they could get burned.
BHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
midniteblues

heres more pics for you guys it seems I was a little late for the really good parts i find it odd that both the 68 and the 72 both had one door with the extra 72 screw. after I went back I realized the 68 with the bb was definitly a tall deck probally a 366.

the 72 gmc has the 351 v6 with a five speed behind it. I've only ever seen a couple of these 6's before but this one i really took a good look at those blocks are huge! and I got a kick out of the timing pointer(looked like a pencil).

can anybody tell me if the heater box is the same as the smaller trucks it looks much easyer too get on off of these.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
midniteblues

It took me about a hour or so to get the cowl and pass fender off this 67 had too do the whole fender cause the inner fender clip nuts were all broke of course. I wanted the clean unbroken heater box but after I got everything off the box had a hole in the bottom I couldnt see. under that seat cover is a ok looking 67 bench except its really wet.I did get a nice uncut guage dash harness out of it and some tight hood hinges damn near everything in this truck was broken

the red gmc has been in this yard for some time its pretty beat
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
zhehnly

wheres this salvage yard at?
zhehnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #18
midniteblues

auburn pa. in lower schuylkill co. about ten min north of cableas.

zhehnly your only down the highway from me
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
joey83854

ya know,if you want to pull that right side trim piece off the red gmc grill surround i would pay you for your time and cost of piece plus shipping if your interested. joe.
joey83854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey83854 View Post
ya know,if you want to pull that right side trim piece off the red gmc grill surround i would pay you for your time and cost of piece plus shipping if your interested. joe.
if it wasnt all banged up I wouldve taken it. its hard too see in the pic