The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Jases stepside
Account Suspended

shifter hanging up

Ok soooo i am having alll sorts of hell with my 72 step side.. the shifter is hanging up going from 1st to 2nd, any clues?? all the help would be greatly apperciated!
Jases stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: shifter hanging up

40 year old moving parts like cleaning and lubrication to workey wellness
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Jases stepside
Account Suspended

I blasted the entire linkage with brake cleaner and abuntly applied white lithium grease but the linkage still hangs, soooo frustrating lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
mattfranklin

I didn't see whether it was running or not when you were having this problem.

Not to be a smart aleck, but are you sure the clutch pedal is all of the way in? If the clutch linkage were worn or binding (or new floor mats) it might prevent a complete disengagement.
mattfranklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Jases stepside
Account Suspended

It's seem to do it weather it's running or not, running I can move the shifter up and down a few times and it will eventually go into second. I did put a new clutch kit in, replaced the clutch bushing and pivot bushings also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
BiggSixx1970

What kind of transmission is it?

I have an SM465 muncie 4spd that got stuck in neutral a few months back, thought it had to do with linkage, or the shift forks but turned out it was the mechanisms inside the top cover on the transmission. I ordered a kit off of ebay (about $30) that included all of the new springs, bearings, roll pins, etc to freshen up the top end and had my machinist buddy press in all the new hardware.. She really snaps into gear nice now!

While we had to case cracked on the tranny, we also noticed that one of my shift forks had a little wear on it that might have also contributed to the stick, which we "massaged" out, and also thought it would be a good idea to change the gear oil

This is the kit I ordered if it helps!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevy-SM4...a207bd&vxp=mtr

Oh and btw, good luck re-aligning those shift forks if you take the cover off! that was a BEEEEEETCH

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545486

Gentlemen wear a bow tie.
BiggSixx1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Jases stepside
Account Suspended

Oh I know allllll about the shift fork, fought it my own self!! But replaced the seals and gear oil while I had it out. The tranny is the org Saginaw 3 speed on the tree. All factory from front to rear. She was saved from a barn back in June. The guy I got it from parked it in 81 and it didn't move till I came along lol. As far as I can tell its in the steering colum
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
hugger6933

There is a FAQ about adjusting the shifter in the [of course ] the FAQ section. There are aliginment pins on both ears of the shifter and you take a 1/8 inch drill bit and [after loosening the adjustment nuts] stick the drill bit into the hole. Tigthten back up the adjusting nuts and you will be amazed at the results. I did not replace any bushing or anything else but doing the adjustment procedure. I could not hardly drive the darn thing the way it was I had bought it from the local school district and it had not been used mostly because of the shifter being messed up. It took me a while to get it to the shop the thing hung up bad in 2nd gear and I thought it was gonna stay there forever. after the adjustment like I said it was like new ,well, almost . It was so much better. Try it it is free.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Jases stepside
Account Suspended

hugger6933 thanks for the info, just did it to my shifter and damn if it didnt work.. she is shifting like a dream now... i was getting sooooooooooooooo fustrated cause i have already rebuilt the engine, tranny, rear end and the entire brake system. when it started haning up i damn near throu a wrench through the windsheild lol.. but thanks everyone for the help.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
hugger6933

Glad to be a help. That is one reason I am on here. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote