The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
69GWC

drive line vibration

My 69 has a drive line vibration and it happens at 2,000rpms to 2,200 rpms and it does not seem to matter which gear its in but it gets worse with a trailer in tow. If I stay in 2nd gear and stay at that rpm the vibration will just stay there (no worse no better) but all I have to do is speed up to get over that rpm range and its gone.
It has a 465 4sp, Rockwell 221 and a completely rebuild 12 bolt (vibration. Was there before it was gone threw) and also has a one piece shaft in it.

My plan is to install some new u joints allthough the ones in it dont feel to bad, but was wondering if I should think about having the drive shaft re-balanced of if anyone else had a thought about the vibration iam having.
Also have new wheels and tires and still does it, all new fluids in the tranny, TC and rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: drive line vibration

if you think its your drive shaft, just pull it out and have a drive line shop see if its balanced. that would be the best way to find out, also if the u joints were bad they would find out also...that is where i would start...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
69GWC

Yeah thats just my guess about what the vibration is from and wanted to see if others thought that sounded like a possibility before i spend the money getting someone to balance it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
jd7

its happening only during acceleration .... if you take your foot off the peddle does it stop vibrating ?
jd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
geezer#99

Check your pinion angle is equal to the centre line angle of your motor.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
69GWC

It seems to happen on or off throttle but it does it for a short rpm range and seems worse if you lug the motor down like if you in 4th gear, I say worse but its just a small change if any. Now if i push in the clutch it goes away,
I guess I should say it only does it under load at 2,000 rpms

I did lift the truck 2.5" with just blocks in the rear but it did this when it was setting at stock height as well. The lift blocks are tapered to correct angle and they are installed correct allready double checked that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Driveshaft vibration will vary with vehicle speed not engine rpm. You have a problem before the transmission. Clutch, flywheel, crank, or ballancer.

Driveshaft out of ballance will usually show up at 2000-2500 rpm in whatever gear is 1:1. Driveline angle problems will show up at speeds of less than 5mph.

I've been building/repairing driveshafts for about 5 years in a driveline specific shop.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
69GWC

So are you saying you think its the drive shaft out of balance then? Or something in/on the motor. Because it vibrates right at that rpm no matter the speed but also does it in 3rd and 4th gear never felt it in 2nd gear but you go by that rpm really quick in 2nd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
biggestjohn

If it occurs at the same rpm range, no matter what gear, that would indicate that it is engine/trans related. Those are the only things that are at the same rpm. The drive shaft will increase rpms as speed increases. U joints usually vibrate violently under deceleration. Sounds more like a flywheel/clutch problem, maybe clutch slipping, or flywheel out of balance. It doesn't sound like your hitting a certain harmonic range, due to it vibrating worse if you lug the engine, plus it stops if you push in the clutch, so I doubt its a balance problem.

My guess, clutch slipping.........

My 2 cents............

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............

Last edited by biggestjohn; 11-24-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: mo
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
cdowns

i'd have the tires balanced by someone who is used to doing big ones like that
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
69GWC

It did it with the old tires and wheels, I had a good tire shop install and balance the new tires and wheels and it still does it pretty sure thats not the issuse the shop i use is real good with large tires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
Daves70

Seeing as how it is based on rpm and not speed I'm guessing a bad clutch or pressure plate or the engine is out of balance (externally balanced flywheel or balancer on your internally balanced 350)but if it goes away when you put in the clutch I'm leaning towards the clutch. One other simple check would be your motor mounts.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
69GWC

Cool I will look at the motor mounts and see if they have any movement, my luck it will need a new clutch as that would not be to much fun for me to do..lol I will just pretend its not the crank out of balance........
Maybe I will install a new balancer on it and see if that takes care of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
69GWC

Well my vibration keep getting worse so I yacked the drive shaft and took it up and had it rebuilt, I noticed when I pulled it out that the slip joint had developed a good bit of play that it did not have (or i did not noticed) before.
The drive line shop said it was pretty bad and they replaced the complete slip joint, both U-joints balanced and painted the shaft so hopefully this was the main problem and my vibration will be gone.
I did not get to drive it today to test it so hopefully tomorrow i cant and see if it fixed it.
Posted via Mobile Device