The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
72CampSpecial

choke not opening to 90 degrees when warm

Can anyone identify this choke?? two wires going to it..when i bought the truck a few months ago it was opening the choke flap to 90, but post rebuild of the Carb it doesn't seem to be opening past 45. So either ive got something hooked up wrong, or the electric choke isnt working properly..

When the flap is at 45 degrees i can freely move the choke, and i can feel some spring tension against it.

Is there a way to test the electric choke?

Could the spring be wore out?

72CampSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
70chev383

Re: choke not opening to 90 degrees when warm

Typically electric cokes work off of engine temp and are tied to the thermostat
Posted via Mobile Device
70chev383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
72CampSpecial

70chev383, thanks-- yes, and I'm not sure that my thermostat is working.. how do i test it/verify that it is operating? I tried using my multimeter, but im not sure what voltage i should be looking for.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
72CampSpecial

and let me re-phrase my question.. can anyone ID this Choke Thermostat? everything ive found online only has one wire to it.. mine has two?? and its a Rochester Quadrajet 77 Cali emissions carb

Last edited by 72CampSpecial; 01-14-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

That choke uses a coil in it that is heated up with a 12v source. It does not run off the thermostat. One wire is the 12v, and the other is ground. See if you have a good ground and 12v at the hot wire.

Its also adjustable by loosening the 3 small screws on the perimeter, then turning the black housing to adjust. Turning the housing to adjust will take the slop out of it so the choke butterfly will be vertical when open. There should be a small "pointer" on the black housing that will correspond with the marks on the metal perimeter.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
rsavage

To adjust the electric choke, take the Air Cleaner assembly off so you can see the choke plate (engine should be cold and off), loosen the three screws on the choke coil. and rotate the coil until the choke plate just closes and then turn it just a tiny bit more. You should have someone holding the throttle just slightly open while doing this. If your choke coil has 12v to the terminal with the wire with the red spade on it with the key on, and you have a good ground on the other, the coil, if good, should allow the choke to fully open.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Yes, 12vdc is what you should have to the coil. The other wire may be a ground but usually they're internally grounded to the carb frame and engine block through the bolts, etc. Some of these trucks have been rewired and changed by previous owners so no telling where the wires go to unless you follow them out.

If you meter between ground and the main wire you should have 12vdc when either the key is on or the engine running depending on how it was hooked up.

You may also have a defective or basically worn out bimetal coil in the thermostat housing. I have the same carb and the t-stat went out on it. Just won't open up enough. I removed it and used a hair dryer to test it. I'm in the process of ordering one from either the net or NAPA.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
72CampSpecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Yes, 12vdc is what you should have to the coil. The other wire may be a ground but usually they're internally grounded to the carb frame and engine block through the bolts, etc. Some of these trucks have been rewired and changed by previous owners so no telling where the wires go to unless you follow them out.

If you meter between ground and the main wire you should have 12vdc when either the key is on or the engine running depending on how it was hooked up.

You may also have a defective or basically worn out bimetal coil in the thermostat housing. I have the same carb and the t-stat went out on it. Just won't open up enough. I removed it and used a hair dryer to test it. I'm in the process of ordering one from either the net or NAPA.
68mgsee... thanks, any idea what that part # is for the thermo housing/bimetal coil. I went to O'Rylies the other day and we couldnt find one with 2 wires..

--Everyone else.. thanks for hte input.. really want to get this running right. I installed Cliff Ruggles carb kit, and that helped.. but now ive got the choke issue holding me back!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CampSpecial View Post
68mgsee... thanks, any idea what that part # is for the thermo housing/bimetal coil. I went to O'Rylies the other day and we couldnt find one with 2 wires....!
I haven't been to NAPA yet but will later this morning. I looked online and found they'll probably have to order it.

Mine is a single wire choke which is grounded through the carb itself. Stock choke thermostats are single wire and more than likely you can ditch the second wire on yours. Just use the main connector which is the one in the housing.

To double check, place a volt meter on DC volts. Disconnect the t-stat wires and check the voltage on the main wire to ground. You should have 12vdc with either the key on or engine running depending on how it's wired.

Place the meter on ohms reading and check the other cable to engine ground, it should read zero or close to it. You don't need this one for the single wire t-stats.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
72CampSpecial

Quote:
I haven't been to NAPA yet but will later this morning. I looked online and found they'll probably have to order it.

Mine is a single wire choke which is grounded through the carb itself. Stock choke thermostats are single wire and more than likely you can ditch the second wire on yours. Just use the main connector which is the one in the housing.

To double check, place a volt meter on DC volts. Disconnect the t-stat wires and check the voltage on the main wire to ground. You should have 12vdc with either the key on or engine running depending on how it's wired.

Place the meter on ohms reading and check the other cable to engine ground, it should read zero or close to it. You don't need this one for the single wire t-stats.

68GMSEE...
here is the part # at NAPA: Part Number: CRB 21620
http://www.napaonline.com/ShoppingCa...ping-cart.aspx

i have to order one and wait a week for it to come in.. grrrr....
Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
72CampSpecial

Quote:

Any idea which single wire T-Stat would work in place of the 2 wire one?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CampSpecial View Post
Any idea which single wire T-Stat would work in place of the 2 wire one?
I decided to order one from Autozone kit since it was the single wire with the cable and looked more like what I have now-pn 1932. It will get here tomorrow afternoon and I'll let you know how it works out.

btw: I have mine connected to the 12 volts source of the alternator so that it gets power when engine starts. Other sources are the coil if engine has one, starter solenoid to key on 12vdc or oil pressure switch on some newer engines.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...dm/1932/image/
Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
72CampSpecial

Quote:
I decided to order one from Autozone kit since it was the single wire with the cable and looked more like what I have now-pn 1932. It will get here tomorrow afternoon and I'll let you know how it works out.

btw: I have mine connected to the 12 volts source of the alternator so that it gets power when engine starts. Other sources are the coil if engine has one, starter solenoid to key on 12vdc or oil pressure switch on some newer engines.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...dm/1932/image/
Found it on their site.. thanks..

Last edited by 72CampSpecial; 01-14-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
68gmsee

Got the Edelbrock made choke t-stat from Autozone (pn1932) and fits perfectly on the choke housing. It comes with the cable with locking type connector to keep the wire from accidentally disconnecting with engine vibration and causing a direct short to ground.

I tested the t-stat by jumpering the connector to batt+ and touching the housing to batt- terminal and worked great. I'll finish installing as soon as weather permits.

Only thing that stumps me is the cost... Expensive little bugger.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
72CampSpecial

Anyone one know what is different about these?? other than price..
The first one is what my truck "Calls for", the second one says 2bbl or 4bbl.. and is HALF the price.. the other 2 are just cheaper and are comparison..

the only thing that I can see different from the first one and second is R-2 vrs R-4??

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...620_0177792044

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...666_0177791867

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...678_0177792182

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...658_0177793678
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
68gmsee

FYI: Got the choke fixed on the test stand engine with the new thermostat housing from Autozone pn 1932. Opens up like it should now. Old one was not opening up at all even when I put a hair dryer to it. I suspect the bi-metal spring just got tired cause there's nothing else but a carbon contact washer and spring behind the coil.

At this time I'm using the alternator 12volt source with engine running only.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yeah, last time I checked the Edelbrock electric choke was about $40. As far as the old one goes, did it have a part number on it that you could trace to a known mfg? It may have failed, but maybe it was just the wrong one to start with.

And, yes, Cliff Ruggles knows his Q-Jets, no doubt there.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #18
72CampSpecial

thanks for all the help everyone.. i called and spoke with Cliff R today and ordered a new electric choke and some other parts from him.... looking forward to getting this truck running properly...