The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
sir_talk_alot

Fork in the road, BBC or Bags?

so, im wanting opinions, finances arent great at the moment, but im interviewing for a new job that would give me really decent $ to spend. i saw this picture last night and it blew my mind, it just looks so amazing. ive got cut coils right now for a 2.5 in drop, and itll lower a bit more if the big block goes in. ive got 4" drop springs for the rear. after seeing this picture im really liking the look of a dropped truck. i wanted to figure out from you guys about what it would cost me to do a simple clean and easy bag drop to get my truck to sit like this. id imagine ill have to go disc brakes up front. ive got a 454 now with long tubes and a hi rise i was gonna take to the machine shop and have punched 60 over and build a decent motor out of it, but my question for everyone is, should i build the bbc and just have a small static drop or should i leave the small block in it and concentrate on bags and brakes? all depends on how much putting bags cost and how much labor i have to put into it also. i could always do a 4/6 drop still not this low.
Attached Images

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: Fork in the road, BBC or Bags?

i am not a expert on this but the first thing that comes to mind is the big block is heaver than the small block, if you drop it to low and change over to the big block later it may make a difference....but i could be wrong...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
clemsonteg

If I had a choice between BBC and having my truck look like that picture, I would go with the picture . I have had my share of fast cars, now I daily a Honda Fit and the truck is my fun around town vehicle. I don't mind it being slow.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
midniteblues

if your truck has go(a engine) then make it low
if you need go then dont make it low

basicly if you allready have a engine that runs then go ahead and bag it but if your motor is caput then I would think that is more important. too me theres alot more going on it that (pic'd) truck than just some bolted on bags
either one can allways be done at a later date.
It sounds too me like you allready had a plan with the bb.
as i'm learning plans are a good thing
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
70blackfish

if money is tight, big blocks are not wallet friendly....go with the bags..
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Your first priority should be to repair or replace anything that makes you truck safer to drive. In my mind, that includes converting to disc brakes while rebuilding the entire suspension. Beyond that, I do not recommend do an air suspension until you have the funds to do it correctly.

Just so you know, a "simple" air spring system will not allow you to set as low as the truck you have pictured. That truck has had several modifications done to allow it to sit that low.

I suggest you spend several hours in the Suspension Forum researching your options, and informing yourself on what would fit in your intended budget.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
ulakovic22

First you need to figure out what your budget is. If your truck is running/driving right now, I would look into suspension upgrades and forget the BBC. Do a lot of research on what it takes to get the stance you want and then figure out how much it's going to cost. Then start upgrading/buying stuff needed to get there, like your disc brake conversion. The research will allow you to not waste money buying things twice or things you don't need to reach your goal.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70blackfish View Post
if money is tight, big blocks are not wallet friendly....go with the bags..
Amen to that!

I'm in the process of (finally) getting my truck into a rolling chassis with the running gear installed.

The single most expensive thing (per weight) has been a basic clean-up/re-ring of the 396.

Or at least that's how it started. Just a basic re-ring of the .030 block with new bearings, rings, and gaskets, along with swapping to a mild hydraulic roller cam (with lifters - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-CL120245-12) and full roller stamped steel rockers (http://www.prwonlinestore.com/zdstai...kerarms36.aspx) to go with an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap is going to be well into the 2K range by the time all is said and done (carb, ignition, valve covers, accessory drive system, etc etc etc.) That's with FREE machine work, mind you.

Every day I think about doing an LS swap, but now I'm too far into the engine build to start over with something else.

If you're even thinking about an engine build, save yourself time frustration and wads of cash and look for an LS motor. A basic 5.3l LS motor mildly warmed up can make oodles more power than a BBC for comparible amount of money and be way more streetable and efficient at the same time.

I also agree with N2TRUX. If your plan is to swap a "hot" motor into a tired suspension and old brakes, let's just be polite and say that your priorities are a bit out of whack.

I spent a little over $4K on a 3.5/5 static drop, F/R upgraded sways, springs, shocks, shock relocators, a bolt in No Limit rack and pinion, all the front suspension stuff you need and a F/R cross drilled and slotted 6 lug disc brake conversion. The brake system came with all the hard and flex lines needed, new calipers (D56 GM - the rears have the parking brake setup), cross drilled and slotted rotors, and a new Booster/Master Cylinder/Prop valve.

I did all of this because I don't want to have to worry about it later on. Do it right the first time, do the research, ask the questions, spend the money. You'll be glad you did (even if it takes a lot more money and time than you initially thought.)

Bags are nice, bags are awesome. I don't have the time or wallet size capable of doing bags the right way.

Last edited by JVictor75; 01-17-2013 at 06:06 PM.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote