The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #22
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: fuel guage problems... about ready to give up.

I've just been through this...And when I say THROUGH it, I mean it. The frustration is the worst part.

Here are a few ways to help get past the fits:

Remember that there are only three elements at work, here:

The sending unit;
The gage;
The wiring in between.

I'm not going to waste your or anyone else's time here on how to check out all the parts. Many good tips already. And good threads on the Forum to fill in the gaps.
But if you compartmentalize into these three elements, you'll fix the problem........*Before* you get blown up.

Sounds simple. And, yeah, this IS an over-simplification. But I'll tell you this:

With an inexpensive fuel gage from any of the Name Auto Zone Whatevers (that is, is you don't want to pull your out of the dash) matched to your new sending unit (90 ohm), a multi-meter with
an ohm read-out, and 12v (your battery) on your work bench, you'll figure out which of the three elements is the culprit.

My story ended up with my finding out that I had too much resistance in my fuse block caused by weather and grime, a bad sending unit, AND a screwed up gage. I kept plugging away, steam coming
from my ears...pissed at the supplier of the sending unit, etc. So, I was able to tell from the bench-testing that the semi-new gage I had from my stash of extra dashes, and the new sending unit were
operational. I almost gave up....after checking pins in the dash connectors, the printed circuit on the dash, the wiring from the fuse box to the sending unit, etc., etc., etc.

Then, I installed the M and H under-dash harness that included the fuse box. I was going to do that anyway, and I already had the harness. So, before I started direct wiring to the gage,
installation of the harness "magically" created the fix.

That's MY story and I'm sticking to it....Except the part about running out of gas...not *knowing* I was out of gas when I thought I had plenty... and coming home on the back of
a flat......er, never mind.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 01-19-2013 at 03:31 AM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote