The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
WIDESIDE72

Brake Proportioning Valve issues

The shop that painted my dad' truck lost the master cylinder to frame lines. I bought a set from inline tube and I went to install them today. I installed the mc to prop valve lines and line that comes out of the bottom of the prop valve with no issues, but I have run into an issue with the line that goes into the rear of the prop valve. The hole in the valve is around 3/4 to 1", but the line is just 3/8". I have another prop valve but it's a little different and it just has a 3/8" port that the brake line will thread in to. I wonder if they took the line out of the valve and lost more than the line, such as an adapter (?) It figures that they painted the prop valve body color like they did the mc and power booster, but if I can't install the line I'll have to pull it clean the other one I have paint it black and install it...

Does anyone have any idea what happened with the prop valve?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Brake Proportioning Valve issues

Some of the lines on brakes have extra-large B-nuts, which take up to a 3/4" wrench to remove. Why isn't the paint shop fielding the parts for you, if they were on the truck when it was turned over to them? Color me cynical. Does one of their employees have a similar truck?

BTW, be careful to use the correct parts when you get the brakes done. The wrong proportioning valve can be a source of exciting stops.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
KensChevy

I bought the adapter from Inline Tube to hook mine up. Its one single fitting, and easy to install.
KensChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Some of the lines on brakes have extra-large B-nuts, which take up to a 3/4" wrench to remove. Why isn't the paint shop fielding the parts for you, if they were on the truck when it was turned over to them? Color me cynical. Does one of their employees have a similar truck?

BTW, be careful to use the correct parts when you get the brakes done. The wrong proportioning valve can be a source of exciting stops.
"You can't get blood outof a turnip!"

The shop is three hrs from me. My dad has gone up there several times, asked and looked around himself. They claim "I dunno, I think it was like that when we got it." the other issue is my dad is 75yo and he might have lost some of the parts, so I cant start pointing fingers, especially considering there are a couple of minor issues wight paint that will need to be addressed after I get theteuck back together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensChevy View Post
I bought the adapter from Inline Tube to hook mine up. Its one single fitting, and easy to install.
Thanks! I will check into it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

I didnt see anything on the Inline Tube website, but will call them tomorrow.

Here is a photo of the driver side of the engine compartment before it was taken apart. You can see the adapter coming out of the back of the prop valve.
Attached Images