The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Oldironracing

4x4 two 2 wheel drive????

How hard is it to convert a 4 wheel drive to a 2 wheel drive? What to use to do so? Good idea or just keep looking for a 2 wheel drive?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
truckster

Re: 4x4 two 2 wheel drive????

OK, please understand I'm not bashing here - I'm truly curious. I know there are a lot of guys who like the 2wd, but why? Why take a 4wd and make it a 2wd? The 4wd can do a whole lot more.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
1972K20

Not bashing either. I just don't understand why you would convert a 4wd into 2wd.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
YBNORML

Different strokes for different folks. I have no interest in going off road, therefore a 4wd makes no sense for me. I was gonna buy a 4wd and convert it before I found my factory 2wd.

OldIron : it is actually quite simple. There are a few conversion threads in the build section. If I can find one I'll post a link for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I love a nice 2wd - converted or factory. I've thought about converting mine more than once.

Here's a great article on the conversion - http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...wd_conversion/
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
Mint68

It should be pretty easy I would think, just take the front drive shaft out.....tools wise, I'm sure a wrench would do the job.

I think it would probably be easiest to buy a junk 2wd truck and swap everything you need from it.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Oldironracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I have no interest in going off road, therefore a 4wd makes no sense for me. I was gonna buy a 4wd and convert it before I found my factory 2wd.

OldIron : it is actually quite simple. There are a few conversion threads in the build section. If I can find one I'll post a link for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree don't won't to go off road. Been there done that. Run a pro mod mud drags for 5 years. Went back to the hot rod street stuff. Not that the off road thing ant fun just not what I won't.
There seams to be a lot more of the 4x4 out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

Its not to hard at all. find a 2wd truck and swap out the parts. you will need to drill a few holes in the frame for the front cross memeber and maybe a few in the rear for cross members and such. also will have to fab upper spring mounts as the frames are different. then swap trans out.
But why do it? becuase there is alot more 4wd's then 2wd's and a lowerd 2wd looks sweet. plus if your not into 4x4 why have something you dont like, convert it. its all in what you like.
71 Jimmy 4x4- future crawler/ woods rig
71 blazer (C4 2wd conv project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523589
fxdxharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
BlazinC5

I did it with my 71. and I have a build thread going too. Even though i haven't had time to work on the blazer in a long time. But you can see how I ended up going about it. I 4-wheeled the snot outa my blazer in the day but time and money, ect. put a damper on things. A good blazer tub is hard to find around here without breaking the bank. And I didn't need 2 4x4's but wanted a 2wd gitaround rig. Well my tub was pretty dang good shape vs. most others out here. So I couldn't part with the tub. and went with a 2wd frame. Then sold off the 4x4 parts under a pickup cab and got some good money out of it. Anyhow you can look up my build thread in my signiture. I prolly would do some things a lil different with how I went about it if I was to do it again but it still turned out pretty good with the frame. though i am nowhere near done.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
beonkey

I'm doing a conversion right now. Not terribly tough, but time consuming although I am spending a lot of time cleaning and correcting things while it is apart. Mine is almost done now (the conversion) and the only advice I can give is buy an air hammer to start! I grinder, chiseled and punched all of the rivets out and would have been a lot further with a air hammer. They fought me the whole way. I'm will post details someday, but try to spend free time finishing it.

Why convert one? Because I want a 2wd....and there are a lot more paved roads than dirt roads in SoCal.
Posted via Mobile Device
beonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
Blazer383

Mine was a 4x4 when it was born but somewhere along the line it was converted to two wheel. I would rather have the 4x4 but I'm not going threw all the trouble to convert it back. I would sell mine but its an Arizona blazer and has no rust what so ever anywhere on it, so it's a two wheel life for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Blazer383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
BlazinC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonkey View Post
Mine is almost done now (the conversion) and the only advice I can give is buy an air hammer to start! I grinder, chiseled and punched all of the rivets out and would have been a lot further with a air hammer. They fought me the whole way. I'm will post details someday, but try to spend free time finishing it.

Posted via Mobile Device
I tried the air hammer stuff with mine and accually had better luck with grinders and a punch.. Both my air hammer just didn't like how hard those rivets are. They may not be of the top quality but they aren't bottom bargains either. I used a 4.5" disc hand grinder to hog most the rivet head off and then a sanding disc of 80 grit then a 120 to smooth it out flush and not gouge into the parts I aimed to keep. Then I would take my punch that is about half the diameter of the rivet and wack it hard with a heavy hammer... There were a few that went real well like that. But most like you said, were fought the whole way. And even a few just wouldn't budge due to the holes not matching up well when they squashed the rivet in. So I ended up drilling the rivet in the center so the sidewalls were thin and could collaps as I punch and hammered them out. Lots of work, but not very hard.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
beonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinC5 View Post
I tried the air hammer stuff with mine and accually had better luck with grinders and a punch.. Both my air hammer just didn't like how hard those rivets are. They may not be of the top quality but they aren't bottom bargains either. I used a 4.5" disc hand grinder to hog most the rivet head off and then a sanding disc of 80 grit then a 120 to smooth it out flush and not gouge into the parts I aimed to keep. Then I would take my punch that is about half the diameter of the rivet and wack it hard with a heavy hammer... There were a few that went real well like that. But most like you said, were fought the whole way. And even a few just wouldn't budge due to the holes not matching up well when they squashed the rivet in. So I ended up drilling the rivet in the center so the sidewalls were thin and could collaps as I punch and hammered them out. Lots of work, but not very hard.
X2 on drilling the hole through the rivet. Took me too long to figure that out!
Posted via Mobile Device
beonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
BlazinC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonkey View Post
X2 on drilling the hole through the rivet. Took me too long to figure that out!
Posted via Mobile Device
It's all good, It's taken me many a years to learn my magic. I've also used a similar trick, Just more refined to remove broke off, froze up bolts in many things. including the unders side of my top for the mounting bolts. (double wall) I saved like 5 or 6 of them and didn't have to cut into the top. Just you have to be good with the drill.

Back on topic, the hardest part I think about swapping frames is finding where to cut the section out in the middle of the frame from a pickup. and then working up the nerve for the first cut and trust your measurments.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

In process on converting a cherry 72 4x4 to a street rod
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel