The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: 67-72 Electric speedo

I just wish I knew how/where to pick up on the VSS signal... so I can get my new electric speedo working...

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There should be an output from the PCM. Do you have the pinouts for your particular PCM? That should tell you which pin to connect to if there isn't already a wire there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
I just wish I knew how/where to pick up on the VSS signal... so I can get my new electric speedo working...
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
Looking at your sig, you're running GenIV engines. There isn't an output for speedometers in those PCM's. that said, there 'may' be a solution but I have not personally looked into it much. Dakota Digital is making a CAN BUS 'module' of sorts that allows you to use their aftermarket gauges, it plugs into the ALDL connector. Whether or not it would allow you to use it with other brands of gauges I can't say. Also if you just want gauges Speedhut also makes a line of CAN BUS gauges that will work.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I did not realize that. How is the speedo driven in the OEM applications then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Looking at your sig, you're running GenIV engines. There isn't an output for speedometers in those PCM's. that said, there 'may' be a solution but I have not personally looked into it much. Dakota Digital is making a CAN BUS 'module' of sorts that allows you to use their aftermarket gauges, it plugs into the ALDL connector. Whether or not it would allow you to use it with other brands of gauges I can't say. Also if you just want gauges Speedhut also makes a line of CAN BUS gauges that will work.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Well....I installed an Autometer GPS unit for my electric speedometer, and a Painless GM/genIV tachometer driver that feeds off the crank sensor. My diagnostic port stays free this way....and will remain hooked to the Aeroforce scan gauge.

testing tomorrow!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Money sent for two speedo kits