The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
quick60

Need Help with Brakes!!!

Im done! I cant take it anymore. Ive ordered hundreds of dollars of parts from companies that assured me they were correct for my truck and they are all wrong. The truck is a 67 GMC 3/4 ton with a Dana 60 rear end and leaf springs. Can anyone help me find a supplier that can get me the right stuff? Im done with LMC.

I have attached a photo of my brakes. There is only one spring and pin holding each shoe on the backing plate that I think if they would just open the box and check that would be a clue as to if it is the correct spring kit.

I need a spring kit, automatic adjuster, and the pins that go into the wheel cylinder and push against the shoes.

At a minimum I need the one spring that goes onto the spreader bar. Its the bluish gray spring in the pic on the right shoe. Its kind of oval shaped. If anyone has this spring and is willing to part with it please let me know. My driver side one rusted to pieces.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Steve-W

Re: Need Help with Brakes!!!

perhaps you can elaborate on what goes wrong in the ordering process?
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

The problem is ordering mail order when you can get the parts locally. Try NAPA or Carquest. I did my 1/2 ton, leaf, Dana 44 couple of years ago with local parts.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
jkeady

Dig it:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...+2014028+26402

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
JointTech

brakes and axle and suspension stuff seems to be so varied and so many options I plan on just removing one side and taking the parts with me to the local store. Seems like to much of a crap shoot to order over the internet and return stuff and wait around for those type things.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Tinsmith9

We did my 69 c-10 complete brake job with parts local. Do what JT suggests. Good luck!
Dan
Tinsmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
cdowns

yep get over your fears and go into the local store look the live human in the eyes and talk to him or her and get stuff like they did way back when
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
rlm316

Stay out of the chain stores like Advance or Autozone. Go into the parts store that has been around for years, either unaffiliated or NAPA. That will be your best bet. I did my HO52 with the local mom & pop store that all of the local "good" garages use. Totally pain free. Spent some time with them over the parts books and had the right parts the first time. Good luck.
rlm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
quick60

yep get over your fears and go into the local store look the live human in the eyes and talk to him or her and get stuff like they did way back when
LOL Thanks been there done that. NAPA, Autozone, and Advance. I stood at the counter at NAPA with the every single part in a box. They only had ONE part that matched my brakes, the wheel cylinders. Note in the NAPA link it says 11" brakes. I have 12" brakes, 2 1/2" wide shoes sorry not on the list for hardware. NAPA has been great with everything else but dead end on the brake hardware.

I went with LMC because it was in the catalog as having parts that met my needs 67, GMC, 3/4, w leaf springs.

I have found a source that said he could help me. www.Vintagechevytrucks.com
He assured me he had the parts but wants me to send pics to be sure. So I am waiting for a call back.

RLM316 I will do that. We have a mom and pop store like that not to far away that I forgot about.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
quick60

Just in case vintage cant help me does anyone have the a spreader bar spring they could part with? Its the bluish looking spring with 5 coils spread apart pressing on the right brake shoe.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
rlm316

Alot of these parts are interchangeable with other years and models. Take some measurements of the spring and someone will surely have something. It looks like a standard tension spring from the pics. Won't know until you post measurements.
rlm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

If NAPA or Carquest can't help you, you may be talking to some new person or someone that can't look up parts. The internet shows the 2.5" brake shoes on the NAPA site plus associated hardware for you area. Personally, I would go to a different NAPA.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You'll need a parts man,not parts boy.It will have o be someone old enough to have really learned to read in school and who is smart enough to know how to look up stuff in the BOOK.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
jocko

I feel your pain. Just went through this on my 71 with Dana 60 and leafs. It sucks and it's not as simple as ordering C10 parts. The variations available on the 3/4 tons make it very difficult - leaf/coil, Dana/Eaton, 2" or 2.5", etc etc. In my brake rebuild, I managed to get the wrong drums, wrong shoes, wrong hardware, and wrong self-adjusting hardware over multiple trips to the stores. On some items, found out that some places simply do not carry it for that combo or their inventory system isn't specific enough to narrow down what you need. Here's what finally worked (almost):

H7128 from O'Reilly - Rear brake hardware (1 set covers both sides) $7.75
PAB419R from O'Reilly - Rear brake shoes (full set both sides, Wagner) 12"x2.5" $35.14
2071DGS from O'Reilly - Rear Brake Drums $57.81 each
WC34474 from O'Reilly - Rear Brake wheel cylinder (L) $37.59
WC34475 from O'Reilly - Rear Brake wheel cylinder (R) $37.59
H2508/H2509 from CARQUEST - L & R rear brake adjusting hardware/star wheel $15.26 each

Even with that, the self-adjusting hardware kits (both sides) still have the wrong size star wheel retaining arm (not sure what you call it, but it's the lever arm you pry up with the screwdriver (or brake tool) when the drum is on so you can then spin the star adjuster wheel with another tool). Both sides have an arm that is too short. But, it's just a chunk of metal, I cleaned up and re-used the original.

This was after a similar amount of hair pulling and hand-wringing and multiple trips to both stores. I prefer to not mail order brake parts because it adds so much hassle when I inevitably have to return them. It's enough of a pain to have to drive down the block and explain to the 12 y/o behind the counter why it aint workin....

Having said all that - keep in mind these part #'s are for a 71, there are a few differences I'm sure. Of course...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
airdale94

I ordered my stuff from RockAuto. It was all correct. I try to only order from LMC what I can't get from auto parts store. Reproduction type stuff.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
pritch

I got that particular spreader bar spring through CarQuest, although the CQ I go to has a parts man instead of a parts boy

It seems that spring don't come in any of the 'complete kits'.

Inline tube has a lot of off-the-wall brake parts, too.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
quick60

Awsome!!! Thats for the tips Jocko and Pritch.

Airdale I looked at rockauto and did not find what I needed. Some stuff sounded right in the description but did not match the pic. Which may or may not be a generic pic but at this point Im not going to take the chance.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
quick60

Pleaseant turn of events!! The spring and adjuster kit that was supposed to be for my Dana 60 with 12" drums is actually for the front 11" drums so I don't need to return them after all.

Will be hitting o reilly and advantage tomorrow to see if they can match up what I need for the rear.

Thanks again for all the help this site is awsome!!!!