The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
ole dollor

ole dollor gets better

i had a little miss so i thought after 117 K miles the 292 was about ready to need a valve job or maybe a overhaul. it some times uses a quart between oil changes and some times not, the miss really was not that bad when the four speed was still in it, but i put the th 350 auto in and the miss got a lot worse.
me and my son pulled the valve cover and adjusted all the lifters, of course they were a lot tighter than i like, so we adjusted to my specs.
drove it around a little and not much change, i decided to just bite the bullet and pull the head, today i went out and ran a compression check .
i thought it was #2 and #5 that was weak, pulled all the plugs and ran the check with 2 different gauges , and dry and wet, all cyl. showed to be good and wet was not much higher.
so i thought about it for a a while and remembered that when the motor was cold it did not seam to be missing, but when it was warmed up it missed.
decided to gap the plugs at 45 instead of 55, and clean them up, haven't been in to long and looked ok, then i ran the torque on the intake and exhaust manifold i put on about 30 days ago..and they needed to be tighten more...
put it back together and took ole dollor for a spin of about 20 miles , and it runs good cold and runs good warmed up, so this old dog learned some thing today, and i hope it saves me a few bucks.
plug gap and vacuum leaks is what i think fixed it....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: ole dollor gets better

just thought this info. might help some one else down the road....as i really thought it was a burnt valve....and it was well worth doing a little more checking things out a little further...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote