The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
cpetersen

One person box and body lifts

Guys, who sells them? A set up for a cherry picker. Thanks
cpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: One person box and body lifts

Look into Autobody toolmart they have a bed thing that hooks to a cherry picker and goes ubder the rails of the bed and one man can operate it. I however am fortunate enough to have a two post lift in my shop and can drive the truck to the lift and raise the bed off of the truck and then set it on a bed dollie. On the 67-72 model trucks you can raise the bed from the underneath most others you have to use straps and go "X" style across the inside of the bed. It is very easy to remove a bed this way I have even done a hole subrban body the same way and reset it on another frame by myself, although I do like to have a helper or two as watchers on a job that size so as not to jack up[or mess up] anything. Autobody toolmart also will have a bed dollie to look for if you are looking for one of those as well they are made by the same company as the bed lifter. I made myself one out of a ladder rack that I took off of a wrecked Silverdo. I took off the end that goes over the cab and put wheels where the plates are that it mounted to the bed rail. It was on of the more costly ones with the siding tubs so it could be adjusted to different sized trucks and it makes a perfect bed or cab roll about I have had about 40 maybe fifty beds on it and while the are on it I don't just use it to hold them I also put on bedskins and other stuff of same kindand it is also handy where I can roll the bed into the paint booth to prime up the side or section or whatever. Sorry to ramble
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
danheit

Why not use a cherry picker with a home made extension and some ratchet/tie-down straps? I used 3 2x4's screwed together long ways in a u-shape to make a channel that fits over the top of the cherry picker arm. Slide those through the door opening of the cab and start lifting. That's how I swapped the cabs out on my 55. You acn do the same thing with the bed, just run some ratchet straps to the four corners and attach them to the end of the extension. You may have $20 in the whole setup.
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
aventur1

What do you use to just lift the body enough to install body mounts, one at a time?
aventur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
cpetersen

I have used the strap set up before, sometimes it can be tricky by yourself. I thought their was a guy on here selling them too?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
88fordf150

Cheap lift for a cab, works great!
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by aventur1 View Post
What do you use to just lift the body enough to install body mounts, one at a time?
I loosen all the body mount hardware, remove the nuts from one side and use a 2x4 and floor jack to lift the rockers up one side at a time. It only has to come up a little bit to pull the old mounts and slide the new ones in. Tighten the hardware once all new mounts are installed.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Check this out...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219353
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Artikgrau325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Look into Autobody toolmart they have a bed thing that hooks to a cherry picker and goes ubder the rails of the bed and one man can operate it. I however am fortunate enough to have a two post lift in my shop and can drive the truck to the lift and raise the bed off of the truck and then set it on a bed dollie. On the 67-72 model trucks you can raise the bed from the underneath most others you have to use straps and go "X" style across the inside of the bed. It is very easy to remove a bed this way I have even done a hole subrban body the same way and reset it on another frame by myself, although I do like to have a helper or two as watchers on a job that size so as not to jack up[or mess up] anything. Autobody toolmart also will have a bed dollie to look for if you are looking for one of those as well they are made by the same company as the bed lifter. I made myself one out of a ladder rack that I took off of a wrecked Silverdo. I took off the end that goes over the cab and put wheels where the plates are that it mounted to the bed rail. It was on of the more costly ones with the siding tubs so it could be adjusted to different sized trucks and it makes a perfect bed or cab roll about I have had about 40 maybe fifty beds on it and while the are on it I don't just use it to hold them I also put on bedskins and other stuff of same kindand it is also handy where I can roll the bed into the paint booth to prime up the side or section or whatever. Sorry to ramble
I have been searching high and low for a review on the auto body cab and bed lifter, but cannot for the life of me find a review on it. I was trying to make things as simple as possible, the LFD setup looked great but I don't have a welding setup (nor the skills). It's good to hear something about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Artikgrau325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
cpetersen

Thats the guy i was looking for perfect. Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
cpetersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted78SS View Post
Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Your welcome,

I have the plans a d they are well put together, just have not had the time to get the materials and put itto use..

Good luck on your project
Posted via Mobile Device
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote