The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #26
jegs72

Re: New Truck!!!!!!!!!

I love that ride! I've got a 72' Cheyenne - same color but in need of a good paint job.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:38 AM   #27
nyncompute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdv View Post
Great looking truck. Does that have a 2" lift?

john
No just tall tires.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #28
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Thanks,
I will keep you in mind if I decide to remove the spotlights. By the way, we have some friends that live on the Ilse of Mann. We visited them about 15 years ago and went to Scotland and England also. Pretty place you live in.

john
Thankyou, though I'd much rather live in the States.
That accounts for my wheels..........
Nigel.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 02-09-2008 at 05:41 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #29
jrdv

I picked up the 4-eyes last wed. The truck fired right up, drove great, but was 2 gallons low on antifreeze and a quart low on oil. I made the 250 mile trip with no problems. The PO had described everthing right ( except the big block---it does have a 350). I have every reciept from 1974 and the truck is definetly an original 98,000 miler. The motor was replaced about 12,000 miles and 10 years ago. It was leaking oil from the valve covers and intake manifold bolts. I degreased the motor and tighted all bolts--no more oil leak!!
It also had a pretty good exhaust leak on the passenger side. Every bolt was loose---tightened them up and still have a slight leak--I can live with that for a while
Tonight I buffed and waxed the half the truck. I will take some pics before I do the other side. The paint cleaned up really good. It does have the usual rocker rust, but that is it. The floors and cab corners are like new on the inside.
The turbine rims are really dirty and pitted. I spent about 2 hours on one wheel using sand paper and steele wool ( only got it half done ). They will clean up nice, but will take time.
I have decided to leave it stock and will eventually paint it back original and replace all the the trim.
I may start a build thread as there are lots of small items I want to replace.
First, I am going to get new cab mounts since the old ones are shot.
The rest---rubber floor mat, steering wheel,original style tac, tires,rubber gas lines, radiator hoses, belts, maybe a 2 inch lift, and a few other item.
I'll get some more pics eventually.

john

Last edited by jrdv; 02-20-2008 at 12:14 PM.
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I am so jealous of that treasure John. I wish you lived closer so I could be there to help play with your new toy too. I am always glad to see survivor trucks like that go into good hands.

Glad you had an uneventful trip through Colorful Colorado. I was up in the Spokane/ Coeur d'Alene area last week but I hear there was some nasty weather on the CO/NM I-25 corridor to deal with right about the time you made your trip. Did you have to lock in the hubs for the ride home? Wish I would saw you pass through Pueblo on our journey home though.

I was actually hoping you would have made this trip on a Saturday and had a fuel filter problem (or something simple) close to my house so I could have come to the rescue for the sake of checking that truck out in person.

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 02-20-2008 at 02:26 PM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #31
jrdv

Thanks Larry,
I stopped in Pueblo for gas and went to the Parts store ( Nice to have a parts store that stays open late!!!!). I thought about calling you, but it was about 8 PM. I'll probably make it up your way one of these days and I will give you a call. It was mainly very windy on the drive home---pretty much normal around Walsenburg
Thanks again for the offer of help ICOE. It is funny that you mention fuel filter problem--I bought an expensive Purilater filter and put it on after I got home. It clogged up in 5 minutes (I was running on one of the side tanks). I put a cheapo carquest filter and have run a full tank through it with no problems.

John

Last edited by jrdv; 02-20-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #32
Chevyholic
Will it run today?

If that truck has the SPID, can you forward the paint code? That is the same color as in my cab, but I don't have the SPID.

Thanks!
David
Old 02-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #33
jrdv

David,
I just got in from buffing the paint and polishing chrome. I will get the SPID for you tomorrow.

john
Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #34
72cheyennesuper20

Nice looking truck, Like the color also, Good price also.
72cheyennesuper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #35
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
It is funny that you mention fuel filter problem--I bought an expensive Purilater filter and put it on after I got home. It clogged up in 5 minutes (I was running on one of the side tanks). I put a cheapo carquest filter and have run a full tank through it with no problems.

John
That is funny but it is so true…….It seems like every time I have ever got my hands on an old truck I go through fuel filters like crazy for a while. My ole $300 ’72 C20 beater truck still eats a filter or two a year. Of course, it gets driven less than 1000 miles a year so that is probably why.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #36
1959chevysuburban

I am looking to paint my 72 gmc 4x4 the same color but im having trouble finding the code. You wouldent happen to know it or atleast the name.
-Eli
Posted via Mobile Device
1959chevysuburban is offline   Reply With Quote