The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
xylorex

Question 87 V1500 Oxygen Sensor Values in WinALDL

I keep getting a error 13 code, which is Oxygen Sensor in WinALDL. I've reset the computer a few times and it keeps throwing the code. Of course, I changed the sensor first, but the code keeps coming back.

This morning on my way to work i put the laptop on the seat and monitored the o2 sensor values in winaldl.

~0.445-0.6v when started and while it warmed up, and sitting in traffic.
~0.6-0.85v while i was accellerating onto the interstate
~0.1-0.3v while cruising 65-75mph

Seems like is working to me. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
xylorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
rfmaster

Re: 87 V1500 Oxygen Sensor Values in WinALDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylorex View Post
I keep getting a error 13 code, which is Oxygen Sensor in WinALDL. I've reset the computer a few times and it keeps throwing the code. Of course, I changed the sensor first, but the code keeps coming back.

This morning on my way to work i put the laptop on the seat and monitored the o2 sensor values in winaldl.

~0.445-0.6v when started and while it warmed up, and sitting in traffic.
~0.6-0.85v while i was accellerating onto the interstate
~0.1-0.3v while cruising 65-75mph

Seems like is working to me. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
For the following discussion I'll have to assume that have stock exhaust manifolds and NBO is a single wire sensor screwed into driver side manifold.

When you cold start engine ECM is operating in open loop and O2 sensor is not used. ECM input circuit has built in bias voltage of around 450 mV which O2 sensor modulates when it senses variations in exhaust stream O2 content.

During the first two minutes O2 is heated and brought to normal operating temperature of about 600F and will report correct voltage. Once heated it should report high voltage since ECM is commanding rich AFR for a cold engine - you should see 800 to 900 mV. If cold engine is idling normally and voltage is low this may indicate two possibilities:

1) exhaust leak which allows extra oxygen into exhaust just before NBO. Do you have AIR injector pipes or valve on your truck? Exhaust manifold leak will do the same.
2) Poisoned NBO - O2 sensors can be rendered bad by antifreeze or common household silicon sealer! Usually O2 sensor always reports low voltage less than 0.1V indicates bad O2

From the values provided it appears that O2 is still functional, but lazy - it should also be swinging at idle between 0.1 and 0.8

DTC Code 13 is set when ECM detects NBO voltage that stays between 0.35 and 0.55 volts for 60 seconds after CTS is above close loop temperature (usually around 40C) and engine has been running over 2 min. On a fully warmed up engine this DTC usually happens when sensor is cold (below 600F) or if it's mounted on a header collector (non CI exhaust manifold) where it can cool down below 600F.

Your highway voltage should be bouncing between 0.8 and 0.2, low voltage indicates either lean mixture, or a cold sensor.

Please provide your exhaust system details.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
chris989

Hello,

I am not sure if this is of any help but on my 89 v2500 my o2 sensor would not read consistently because of its location in the exhaust system. My truck is all stock and the o2 was just past the Y pipe before the cat. It would not heat enough to read.

The solution, via Harris Performance/TBI Chips, was to install a 3 wire heated o2 sensor.

Almost all of my problems were solved instantly now that the truck was in closed loop.
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
xylorex

Attached is my sensor data and 02 chart from winaldl on my 6.5 mile trip to work this morning.

RFMaster: Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the details of the ecm operation. My exhaust system has long tube headers, and about 2 inches from the exhaust flange is a thread olet for the oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor is new and it came with a anti sieze on it new in the sealed package, i didnt add anything. The sensor is definitely not swinging from .1 to .8 at idle, not even close. The previous sensor didnt do stray too much from 0.455.

chris989: thank you for your input also. Maybe thats what i need to do...
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
chris989

I am no expert, but i think heated o2 will help you out and it is cheap to do.

Call Brian at harris performance 336-471-2827, he sells one via ebay or can direct you to what will work, i think mine was from an v6 s10.

My readings on tunerpro were similar to yours, no variation, once the o2 works, the readings are extremely fast changing. I did not keep my data log,, sorry.

chris
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
xylorex

I found the 3wire acdelco sensor for $40, free shipping on amazon.

Went ahead and purchased the corrext plug for it also, ill let yall know hownit turms out. Typing this on my phone, sorry for the mis-spelled words.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
xylorex

Well guys, i finally got a chance to install the new delco o2 sensor, i added a relay triggered off the the fuel pump relay to energize it.

Seems to be working great! no more 13 error code...

thank you