The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
sir_talk_alot

Cheap wiring harness??

Does anyone know of a company that sells a cheap or cheaper wiring harness for our trucks? Went out yesterday to start my truck and nothing. Ive spent the last 8 months fighting wiring issues with this truck. The previous owners trashed the wiring so bad on the truck. Some lights dont work, gauges, radio etc. im sick of cobbled together crap all over my engine bay. Im not interested in spending $400 from brothers for a harness. I need to rewire this truck, im building a motor and i need to give the wiring some attention from front to rear. Ive got yellow and purple wires twisted together and strung across the intake and ive had it. I want a simple and painless wiring kit i can freshen up and fix the truck. Anyone know of good cheap harnesses?
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Cheap wiring harness??

Simple and painless wiring harnesses are not cheap when purchased new. If you want cheap a junkyard is your best bet...but most of what you will find there is cobbled up too.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
BMERDOC

Do you think your harnesses are too far gone to restore? I pulled out my dash harness, rear harness and motor harness, got rid of all the crap, installed new terminals, replaced wires and rewrapped them. Mine is good as new now. I still have to restore my front harness, I'll be deleting the external regulator and rewiring for an internal but for now it was the best harness in the truck and doesn't require much attention.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Boog
laying low

The electrical system isn't somewhere I'd want to cheap out however I think $400 or more is way too much for a stock replacement harness. There are a number of harness manufacturers out there offering a plug and play or one you cut and crimp on the end terminals yourself.
Like was mentioned you can pickup some useable stockers at the junk yards. I picked up several and replaced the bad wires with better ones. That way it maintained the correct color and gauge wires.
There are numerous wiring harness postings on these forums if you need a guide. VetteVet has posted them many times.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
sir_talk_alot

I may check out his threads. Its so cobbled and spliced i just get frustrated messing with it. I work in aviation so crimping is no biggy for me so i guess i could find a do it yourself harness.
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote