The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
wibilly

transmission options/ gearing

Been awhile since i've popped in but i'm thinking about playing truck again.i don't think i put 50 miles on 2 trucks combined last summer. thats not gonna happen this year.any body running a np 883 in there trucks and if so how do you like the gearing?my 69 is like a tractor now with the 4 speed and 410 final drive.3rd gear in 3 feet with a car on the trailer and looking for another gear at 35 mph with 31x10.50s on her. not to mention she has a drinking problem, 12 mpg at 70. not sure if i wanna go to a set of 308s or put in an od trans or 373s and od i have a 883 but never driven atruck with one hate togive up that 3rd peddel. just wondering if anyone else made this swap and if so was it somthing you would recomend. i already havve every thing for trans and rear end swap just wondering what way to go. thanks for any help you can be
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: transmission options/ gearing

To me a lot depends on how you use the truck and what you have for a truck. Four speed and 4.10 does not tell me much. But 12mpg at 70 is not too bad in itself.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
wibilly

it's a 69 with a 80 350 i use it forwhatever i need a truck for and daily driver i tow my race cars and sawmill and bobcat at 55 towing my race car it will do 14 mpg but that is not acceptable when it is a minimum of 50 miles anywhere it is over 120 miles to the track i guess i should just sell all the junk and get a geo
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
SS Tim

OK lets try this again. If it is a C10 or K10 you are beating it up. If it is a C20/30 that is not bad. If it is a K20 that is really not bad mileage. In any case an O/D 883 is a fairly light duty trans. and the GM versions (IIRC MY6?) seem tough to find. Towing loads like you are talking brings me back to my favorite, a Gear Vendors O/D. It will turn your 4 speed into a very useable 7 speed. It basically will give a halfway split between gears and a O/D for freeway running. They can often be found used at reasonable prices.

http://gearvendors.com/cg2wdt.html
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
wibilly

thanks for the response Tim. A gearvenders od would be the cats a$$ but i don't have one of them laying around, i do have the 883 and i do hav 60 plus trucks to choose rear gears. do you know the od ratio for the 883.i would gladly give up my granny gear for the od but i could also swap out the rear end alot quicker and easier and get a posi too
Old 03-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
SS Tim

The RPO MY6/NP260 is the same ratio as the A-883 Chrysler trans.. They are not interchangable and it does not have the iron case of old. At one time after a lot of research on these I finally concluded it was not for me. As posted before it is not a HD trans..

Keep your eyes open on CL as Gear Vendors units pop up all the time. There was a Chevy truck four speed with a G/V unit earlier this year in the SF bay area for a $1000. Last fall I found a running crewcab dually TH400 with a G/V overdrive in LV, NV for $1500. Should have bought that one to part.

However to see details with your own eyes here is a 2009 article from my links folder.

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...n/viewall.html

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...ons.htm#4sptrn
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 03-15-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: If you didn't see it I'm not telling