The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
JellyBeanDriver

Re: Can a mixture of mostly water be used in a radiator during the summer months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA-Chevy68 View Post
I don't mean to be argumentative, I just want to make sure the right info is portrayed. Ethylene Glycol adsorbs heat far better then H2O. Waters Boiling Point is 220 degrees F and EG is 387. The chemical make up alone makes it a better heat adsorbent. I only Appel of this a a HAZMAT tech with a chemistry degree. Far more is going on then just raising the freezing point of H2O.
Posted via Mobile Device
Also not meant to be argumentative but you are wrong. You cannot go by boiling point alone to determine heat transfer. Oil has a higher BP yet is less effective than water for carrying away heat. Same for ethylene glycol.

From this site (one of many)
Quote:
Note! The specific heat capacity of ethylene glycol based water solutions are less than the specific heat capacity of clean water. For a heat transfer system with ethylene glycol the circulated volume must be increased compared to a system with clean water.

In a 50% solution with operational temperatures above 36 oF the specific heat capacity is decreased with approximately 20%. The reduced heat capacity must be compensated by circulating more fluid.
also here

Quote:
As the concentration of glycol in the solution increases, the thermal performance of the heat transfer fluid decreases. Therefore, it is best to use the lowest possible concentration of inhibited glycol necessary to meet your corrosion and freeze protection needs. Dow Chemical recommends a minimum concentration of
And lastly here
Quote:
It is often observed that if the addition of ethylene glycol is so beneficial why don’t we just run it at 100%? Since pure ethylene glycol freezes at about 8° F and boils at 330° F, it appears that the freezing level has been improved and the upper end boiling point has been extended by 50%. However, the use of straight ethylene glycol will result in a 25% reduction in heat capacity, or heat carrying, capability compared to water. In an automobile the cooling system (the radiator) would have to be increased in size, therefore, by roughly 25% to provide the same cooling capacity.
This is why it is not recommended to run 100% antifreeze in cars, besides the viscosity change.
JellyBeanDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
WadmalawJoe

Re: Can a mixture of mostly water be used in a radiator during the summer months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Member VWNate1 here in SoCal is a big proponent of this method.
Take a look here starting at post #19 and he has a Word Doc proceedure at post #24.
Where is here? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Lol. I can't argue with you there. In fact, part of me wishes I had just done the radiator instead of all the hassle I went through getting the seat cover on last night lol. I'll do a write up soon, but basically they didn't mark which piece was the back and which was the bottom. I had to guess. I started with the back, and it was cake. Proceeded to do the bottom, and couldn't get it to fit no matter what I did. My wife walked by and said "are you sure you have the right piece on this? Sure enough, I had them reversed. Had to undo everything and start over. It went on much easier this time, but now I'm out of hog rings and can't finish the back. I'll get more today. Boy, it sure looks good. Can't wait to get it and my refreshed belts installed today
Posted via Mobile Device
What a bummer they didn't have the pieces marked. Looking forward to the write up!

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
SS Tim

HERE :-)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=538630
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
WadmalawJoe

Thanks Tim!
Sounds great can't wait to try it out and see what junk comes out!

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Thanks for that, my overflow bottles are all coated in a red coating. I think this procedure is much needed. That and the PO is running straight water
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #31
scrappy

Have you guy's seen the movie Red Dawn? He urinate's in his radiator. What's the boiling point of that?