The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Are they worth it?

Are the drilled rotor's worth the extra money spent on them for a street application? I been thinking about adding a set to my 71. If there is a vendor at the Myrtle Beach car show selling them I plan to buy a set. But just curoius if they are worth it.
Anybody got any in put.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
buckskins4ever

Re: Are they worth it?

That really depends how much romping you do on your truck....slotted and Drilled rotors dissipate heat faster. Cooler brakes work and last longer.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
BigCountryx

Slotted is my preference if not keeping with a stock rotor. Every drilled rotor I've ever owned, even the big boys all with chamfered holes, have cracked. Now the cracks may be minor and braking may not be affected by them, but give me solid rotors any day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
jocko

stock works just fine. slots and holes more for show than go (or stop) unless a high performance application. Which stock trucks are not.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

It's just something to spend your money on. I never noticed any need for anything other than stock and my brakes last long enough to never offset the cost,if drilled brakes do actually last longer. The stock rotors on my tow truck stop two trucks and last just fine. I put them on my Harley because they look cool and you can actually see them

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Are they worth it?

Well I guess then the real question is it worth the extra money to have a cool looking rotor?

U could see it when the truck is stopped!
Tim it may not look as cool on the truck as it does on the Harley though!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
midniteblues

I put them on my s10 with 4wdisc's only cause i paid less for them than oe rotors cost other than that i would'nt bother with them.
on the s10 they didnt make that much of a differnce too pay more for them.

if you want some better stopping power either upgrade the calipers master/booster or PADS (you allready have the good lines)the oe rotors work just fine.
as for the looks most people see rotors and allready think thats a upgrade
only because more of these trucks came with front drums than disc's
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskins4ever View Post
That really depends how much romping you do on your truck....slotted and Drilled rotors dissipate heat faster. Cooler brakes work and last longer.
Just a question Dose any of Racing events use slotted rotors or hole in rotors .NO they want as much pad on that rotor as possible.Any of you used a Cheese grader lately.What happens the the Cheese when you put holes or slotted in to the cheese it grates it.My uncial Laughs his ass off ever time some one says they work ok Bonneville salt flats ask any one of them guy running any of them High speed car's if they want any thing other then a solid Rotor on the front or the Rear of there Car lets ask Jimmy Johnson is he wants a slotted Rotor on his talladaga Car and one one that just Race Daytona ask Robby Gordon if he wants a Slotted rotter on his Bahia 1000 race truck.

Now I know most people do like dual piston Calipers them i would rather have on my ride that when i pushing 150 to 200 mph Ya any day.

Now for looks Slotted roots are cool but how often are you going to take off your wheels.

Holes in rotors and slotted are for the guys looking for looks for the money I rather buy dual Calipers with a thick ass rotor on are trucks.

I've seen the Nascar trucks they have a thick ass rotor with a huge ass Brake pad they are using them alum Dual calipers and they are Big.But if your going for looks yes slotted are nice. Me i want something that will stop me and my Ride.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
skorpioskorpio

Slotted and drilled rotors are commonly used in NASCAR, Baja, Paris-Dakar and just about any other type of racing that uses steel rotors. I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. The "cheese grater" effect you elude to is exactly why they are used, it keeps the pads from glazing over and fading. You don't use factory pads on these rotors you use something like a Hawk HP Plus or HPS pad. Drilled rotors will crack, chamfered holes or not. If you are a late braker in the canyons like I am slotted rotors make a big difference, they bite harder and they fade less. Drilled rotors do basically the same thing but they crack and look like crap pretty fast, a rotor full of rusty holes and cracks is not very attractive. I run them but looks wise I don't really pay attention too much. They are noisier when you brake hard with them and having brakes that you can push harder, well I suggest you run stainless braided lines.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

FAIL! A cheese grater is not just holes,it's holes with a raised trailing edge that acts as a cutter. Ever try to grate cheese over just flat holes? Nada!

Andy,with your wheels it's like on my Harley. You see them,so they add to the appearance of the wheel. I should have said they are worth it for the cosmetic value...if you can see them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
FAIL! A cheese grater is not just holes,it's holes with a raised trailing edge that acts as a cutter. Ever try to grate cheese over just flat holes? Nada!

Andy,with your wheels it's like on my Harley. You see them,so they add to the appearance of the wheel. I should have said they are worth it for the cosmetic value...if you can see them.
Well so far there is a mixed bag of opinion's on them. I put the picture of the drilled ones but I guess the groove ones will be what I buy if any. I don't auto cross the truck are any kind of racing with it so the perforamance is second to the look I guess. I have the S/S lines already installed.
The prices that I have found aren't that much more than a stock one. I plan on buying a set at the Myrtle Beach car show on the 14 if there are any vendor there selling them if not I may not even buy any. I have a couple of things I'm going to look for at the show but may not even borther with if I can't see them in person first.
I would love to add bigger brakes to the truck but just can't see the money for them in a street truck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Are they worth it?

I found these.

List Price:$338.28 on sale for $169.14 free shipping and pads.
Lifetime Warranty
These are as cheap as regular rotor's almost. What do u think?

http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro...ake-Rotors.php

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
skorpioskorpio

Topbrakes.com is also a good source.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
oldspowered67C10

I have drilled and slotted rotors(CPP 13" kit) and in my opinion on the street the only purpose they serve is too look cool. In racing its different story though.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspowered67C10 View Post
I have drilled and slotted rotors(CPP 13" kit) and in my opinion on the street the only purpose they serve is too look cool. In racing its different story though.
Been through all the stuff about performance, just wondering if there is any other better picing out there. Most people feel for the street it's a look thing which OK yea I agree but if I can buy a dress up part as cheap as a stock part then why not...right.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
c10derek

If they look cool and may work better ? Why not, drilled look cool!
Posted via Mobile Device
c10derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10derek View Post
If they look cool and may work better ? Why not, drilled look cool!
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree they do look great new, to many people say they crack and rust over after a short time so I'm going with groove only.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #18
quick60

I put slotted rotors on my Mazda Miata and noticed a minimal improvement in dry conditions but noticed a dramatic improvement braking in rainy conditions.
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Are they worth it?

Well after talking to the guys at the car show last week in Myrtle Beach I ordered a set of front rotor's with the grooves and holes. He said they would replace them if the rusted and said unless I drove the truck in auto cross they should be fine. They have the zenk coating and said he has never had a set come back from rust are cracking. We will see. he guarenty them and he will be at the car show in mooresville in June so if they do he is going to hear about it.

Master Power Brakes
Mark Chichester
888 351 8781

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/special_offers.cfm

Upstate SC GM Truck Club